Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Commander to buy?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    It’s good to hear that you feel it balances better. I figured that was one of the reasons. I think it will for me as well. Think for my first 9mm 1911, I’m gonna go for the Commander! Thanks everyone!

Chris

Posts liked by others
    We all have favorites maybe a bunch of them. I generally prefer 5" guns but recognize that the Commanders move real fast.

My favorite is a 5" light rail 9mm Cylinder & Slide build on Caspian components. Seems that everyone that shoots it wants to buy it or points to something off in the distance while they try to steal it. I really need to keep an eye on my "friends".

Mifune326, Enjoy the decision and selection process. You should buy both Valors then you can decide which is your favorite after you shoot both.

Jim

Posts liked by others
    Bill Laughridge makes some beautiful pistols. I know what you mean Jim. Some of my full size 1911s just feel different in the hand than my others and as soon as buddies handle them, they remark how great they feel.

Well, just picked up the all-steel Dan Wesson Valor Commander in 9mm. I know I’m gonna love it! Thanks everyone for your input and guidance. Awesome folks all over this forum!

All the best!
    Chris
    Likes (1) :
    Spyros (23rd February 2020)

Last edited by Mifune326; 22nd February 2020 at 23:38. Reason: More detail

Posts liked by others
    The Commander "balances" well, but the hits come closer and faster with the GM.
    More reliable 9mm? I don't know, my only sub-5 inch 9mms are Frankennine and an Ultra Compact.

Posts liked by others
    I agree Jim. Gotta give up a little in the recoil department to get a little more comfort when concealing. Probably just going to mean I have to get a GM in 9mm later!

Posts liked by others
    Recoil with a 9mm Commander is so negligible, it's not even worth talking about.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    Recoil with a 9mm Commander is so negligible, it's not even worth talking about.
    Awesome news indeed.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Mifune326 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I understand that the 9mm runs more reliably in the Commander sized pistols than the Govt so I’m looking to pick up a 9mm Commander. I wanted the Dan Wesson Valkyrie Commander but it’s been discontinued and they are almost impossible to find. Can anyone recommend a good Commander? No bobtail and with a price point of $2,000 max.

Thanks!
    Chris
    I'm interested in where the notion came from that the 4.25", 9mm, 1911 is more reliable than the 5", 9mm, 1911!

I've been shooting competitively, collecting, and maintaining this thing since the 60's. Never heard this until now!

I've shot more than 25,000 rounds of 9mm in a 5" in pistol games along with a bazillion other guys I guess we've just been lucky!

Maybe it is just the 10 Wilson mags I use!

Smiles,

John

P.S. I have a Kimber Pro Carry II, 9mm in EDC rotation
    Last edited by jjfitch; 4th March 2020 at 20:59.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by jjfitch
    I'm interested in where the notion came from that the 4.25", 9mm, 1911 is more reliable than the 5", 9mm, 1911!
    If I had to guess (and this really is just a guess), this is probably a WILD misunderstanding, founded on the basis that the 4.25" and shorter 1911s have less slide travel than 5" guns, which reduces the margin of error in the timing of the action. In theory, the 9mm's shorter COAL makes this less of a factor.

So it might have been more correct (or less incorrect) to state that 4.25" 1911s in 9mm are less prone to reliability issues than 4.25" 1911s in .45 Auto. And no, I wouldn't entirely agree with this either; there are way too many "ifs" and "buts" that would apply. My Colt Commander in .45 Auto would certainly object. But as a statement, this may have some basis in fact. On the contrary, the original claim (9mm in 4.25" guns Vs 9mm in 5") does not. In a 5" 1911 in 9mm, the full-length, .45-like slide travel is most definitely not an issue, if everything else in the gun is as it should be.

(some say you MUST have 9mm mags with a spine in the rear, to keep the rounds forward. My 5" 9mm Para pistol is unaware of this and runs on "spineless" mags with no complaints. Maybe 4.25" guns are different. YMMV)

There was another myth out there that 9mm extractors can't reach the 9mm case rim easily, obviously started by someone with a bad extractor—or a poorly-fitted good one. This may or may not be relevant here, but in general 9mm 1911s seem to generate a lot of inaccurate information, mostly from the "If it ain't single-stack, 5" and .45, 't ain't a 1911" crowd.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Last edited by Spyros; 5th March 2020 at 01:08.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyros View Post
    If I had to guess (and this really is just a guess), this is probably a WILD misunderstanding, founded on the basis that the 4.25" and shorter 1911s have less slide travel than 5" guns, which reduces the margin of error in the timing of the action. In theory, the 9mm's shorter COAL makes this less of a factor.

So it might have been more correct (or less incorrect) to state that 4.25" 1911s in 9mm are less prone to reliability issues than 4.25" 1911s in .45 Auto. And no, I wouldn't entirely agree with this either; there are way too many "ifs" and "buts" that would apply. My Colt Commander in .45 Auto would certainly object. But as a statement, this may have some basis in fact. On the contrary, the original claim (9mm in 4.25" guns Vs 9mm in 5") does not. In a 5" 1911 in 9mm, the full-length, .45-like slide travel is most definitely not an issue, if everything else in the gun is as it should be.

(some say you MUST have 9mm mags with a spine in the rear, to keep the rounds forward. My 5" 9mm Para pistol is unaware of this and runs on "spineless" mags with no complaints. Maybe 4.25" guns are different. YMMV)

There was another myth out there that 9mm extractors can't reach the 9mm case rim easily, obviously started by someone with a bad extractor—or a poorly-fitted good one. This may or may not be relevant here, but in general 9mm 1911s seem to generate a lot of inaccurate information, mostly from the "If it ain't single-stack, 5" and .45, 't ain't a 1911" crowd.

Yup, internet misinformation!

I see an awful lot of 9mm's at pistol games without seeing the afore mentioned maladies. Like all things 1911 there is a dance going on between a few fitted parts and the various springs the require occasional tuning for reliability! These a re the same characteristics that make the 1911 so compelling.

Smiles,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast