Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1917 1911 colt 45

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

1917 1911 colt 45

I was asked to post this here, I was handed down this 1911 colt 45 from my father side of the family he said it was my great great grandfathers. He served in ww1. Its slide is very smooth and seems to function still have to get some 45 acp snap caps and see how it feeds. I wasnt the caveman that scratched it up, i field stripped it and oiled it. Not looking to sell it just curious what it might be worth and should i try to shoot it?20200211_160205.jpg
    Last edited by Nhwoodsman; 13th February 2020 at 06:19. Reason: Pictures

Posts liked by others

Posts liked by others

Posts liked by others

Posts liked by others
    Since the "Colt" discussion area is for pistols manufactured in 1970 or newer, we have moved this discussion to the Collectors' Corner.

Should you shoot it? IMHO, absolutely not. Recommended reading:

https://forum.m1911.org/showthread.p...nal-USGI-M1911

https://ezine.m1911.org//showthread....vernment-Model
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 13th February 2020 at 13:27.

Posts liked by others
    Sorry for posting in wrong section. Ill check out those 2 thread, thank you

Posts liked by others
    Ok after reading both ill pass on shooting it, so with missing front sights, not correct mainspring housing, and condition any guess at its value?

Posts liked by others
    I'm afraid your Commercial pistol not worth much in its current condition. As your great, great Grandfather's possible service pistol it has huge sentimental value. I don't keep up with Commercial values but would guess around a thousand dollars, perhaps. If it doesn't have the original barrel somewhat less.

Posts liked by others
    I'll add a couple things.

The missing front sight comes from shooting. The staking leg of the front sight is about the same dia as a straight pin. Many fatigue from recoil and fly off. At one time Cylinder & Slide had blue and in-the-white replacements available.

Your magazine a modern-ish replacement.

Did your great, great Grandfather ever mention how it came to have two notches in the right grip?

Posts liked by others
    My dad doesnt have much info other then it was his great grandfathers and he served in ww1. I noticed the notches and thought maybe they broke away from wear or handling not sure though. Would notches cut in the grip mean something?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast