Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

-->
Happy New Year
to all our members and visitors.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Differences between M1911 and Rock Island 1911

Posts liked by others

Differences between M1911 and Rock Island 1911

Tthe Rock Island is not a duplicate of the M1911 I understand. What are the differences?

Posts liked by others
    Which Rock Island?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (2) :
    Ric4509 (10th February 2020), Rick McC. (13th February 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Hawkmoon asked “which one” because the answer is model-specific, and the question isn’t.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Likes (1) :
    Mark75H (13th February 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Just for fun, let's assume he meant the RIA GI Standard Full Size 51421 which is what I call "imitation army surplus."
    Don't consider the company markings, after all, there were multiple contractors for service pistols, all with their own roll marks.

The smooth mung wood grips could be readily replaced with plastic or prewar checkered walnut and the plastic bottomed magazine with flat steel.
    You could round up a military square tab thumb safety to replace the postwar "teardrop" and even a short trigger instead of the intermediate length used here. Likewise substitute an A1 arched mainspring housing for the re-popularized 1911 flat.

You are pretty well stuck with the low ejection port and its beveled off back corner, though.
    And there are subtle differences in the overall contour of the gun that a real student of the type would pick right up. I have seen a number of fakes exposed because the crook got the markings and finish to look right, but he just couldn't change the shape.

Probably other stuff I am not educated to find, and who knows what it looks like inside.
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (14th February 2020)

Posts liked by others
    the model in questions is a Rock Island FS 1911. Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I take from the response from Jim Watson that the differences are mostly external.

Posts liked by others
    To quote a usually reliable source (Me!) "who knows what it looks like inside."
    I was going by pictures. Whether an RIA is mil-spec has to be answered by somebody who has taken one apart.
    It is obviously functionally and operationally equivalent, so the differences are small... unless you are interchanging working parts.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by .45addict View Post
    the model in questions is a Rock Island FS 1911. Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I take from the response from Jim Watson that the differences are mostly external.
    I just spent several minutes on the Rock Island web site ( https://armscor.com/firearms/ria/ ) and I don't see any model designated the "Rock Island FS 1911." Unless and until we know the correct model designation (preferably including the model number), we can't begin to address how it might differ from a military issue M1911.

Next question: Do you want a clone of an M1911, or an M1911A1?
    Hawkmoon
    Likes (2) :
    rice paddy daddy (1st March 2020), Rick McC. (16th February 2020)

Last edited by Hawkmoon; 15th February 2020 at 22:32.

Posts liked by others
    RIA is the same thing as a GI Model and a Government plus a Colt 70 Series, and with few exceptions, most parts are interchangeable. Colt 70 series clones..........

Following WW II, a complete manufacturing operation was sent to the Philippines (as I understand...)
    and they have been producing 1911's ever since under various names/brands.
    Retired Navy Shooter
    NRA Endowment Member

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Shooter View Post
    RIA is the same thing as a GI Model and a Government plus a Colt 70 Series, and with few exceptions, most parts are interchangeable. Colt 70 series clones..........
    No, they are not the same. One difference, for example, is that even the Rock GI FS has a lowered and flared ejection port.

Following WW II, a complete manufacturing operation was sent to the Philippines (as I understand...)
    and they have been producing 1911's ever since under various names/brands.
    Your understanding is incorrect. Nobody in the U.S. sent any manufacturing operations to the Philippines after WW2.
    Hawkmoon
    Likes (5) :
    Gruntshooter (27th August 2020), Ric4509 (8th June 2020), Rick McC. (9th June 2020), Sergio Natali (10th June 2020), slohunter (1st December 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    No, they are not the same. One difference, for example, is that even the Rock GI FS has a lowered and flared ejection port.

Your understanding is incorrect. Nobody in the U.S. sent any manufacturing operations to the Philippines after WW2.
    An old wives tale, that no matter how often repeated, will never become reality.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Likes (1) :
    Gruntshooter (27th August 2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast