Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Para 9

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

New Para 9

Well new to me.
    Picked up a Para Carry 9 complete with case, paperwork and 3 mags.
    Has wooden grips and the 3 dot sights.
    First 1911 style in 9mm for me.
    Can't wait to get it to the range.
    Time to shovel the white stuff.
    Norton

Posts liked by others
    Sounds nice. As you must know, but didn't state, the Carry 9 is an LDA (double action).

Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Right you are!
    Going to take it to the range tomorrow night.
    pARA9CASE.jpg
    I also have the Para Carry in .45
    Norton

Posts liked by others
    Nice gun! How did the shooting go?

I had to chuckle with Para's pistol case. I stored mine somewhere, a long time ago, going for something smaller, softer and handier. This one looks like it's for a power drill or something..! At least it has good hinges.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    That case is more industrial than my P12's.
    First impressions is that my Carry .45 is nicer. However I can learn to love this.
    Trigger is "tougher" on the 9, sights were off.
    Of course I didn't clean before the range.
    I was holding at 5 o'clock about two inches into the white and my shots were at 10 o'clock skirting the black.
    Further I didn't have a allen wrench with me.
    When I got home I took it apart and found gobs of yellowish, white grease in it. It has since been given a good cleaning and
    CLP. On the trigger linkage I used some stuff called Super Lube (really helped my Python).
    After a little dry firing there was a difinite improvement.
    Next Tuesday back to the range.
    I need to find a adjustable rear sight to help correct for the high POI.
    Any suggestions for a rear sight?
    Thanks,
    Norton

Posts liked by others
    Para had its own oddball sight cuts for many models, including IIRC this one.

Check Dawson.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    That case is more industrial than my P12's.
    Trigger is "tougher" on the 9, sights were off.
    I was holding at 5 o'clock about two inches into the white and my shots were at 10 o'clock skirting the black.
    I need to find a adjustable rear sight to help correct for the high POI.
    Any suggestions for a rear sight?
    First, what distance were you shooting at? Second, what ammo were you shooting? Before chasing after adjustable sights, I'd suggest first trying a few different loads to see if they all shoot high.
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    10 yards using American Eagle, 115 grain, full metal jacket.
    The target was a official 50 ft slow fire pistol target (NRA).
    The POI was about 5" high.
    I have moved the rear sight to adjust for center and will try some Remington next range session.
    The height distance is a big chunk and the ammo has performed well in my other 9's.
    The accuracy I'm looking for is for defense, as long as it is in the black, I'm happy.
    Thanks for the input and I'll post my results.
    Norton

Posts liked by others
    I have moved the rear sight to adjust for center and will try some Remington next range session.
    Try some different weights, too.

Next point: If I remember correctly, those sights are white dot sights, correct? Next time out, try aligning the front dot between the two rear dots, and covering the center of the bullseye (the intended point of impact) with the front dot. I believe that's the way Para sights were regulated -- they default to using the white dots for aiming. (Why they don't work the same whether using the dots or using a traditional sight picture is something I have never understood. But they don't. Try the traditional sight picture at 25 yards and see what happens.)

Yeah, I know. I don't use the dots, either, and it makes life difficult at longer distances. At self-defense distances, center of mass is center of mass.
    Hawkmoon
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (15th February 2020)

Last edited by Hawkmoon; 15th February 2020 at 21:24.

Posts liked by others
    I missed a week at the range, so here is the belated report.
    The Para shoots high. Sandbag was used for support and 3 different shooters. Ammo was both Remington and American Eagle 115 grain FMJ.

Hawkmoon, you nailed it, those sights, are terrible. These are 3 dot but are rounded. That is the sights have a radius. The three of us found them to be difficult.
    The youngest of us, a mere child of 60, who has the best vision, shot the tightest and closes to to the marked X. Those of us north of 70 didn't do as well.

The three choices are: Modify the sight by removing a few thou from the rear, replace rear sight or ignore since it's a carry piece.
    I also have the same firearm in .45acp and the rear sight is flat across the top and have no issue with it.

Thanks for your input,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast