Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: I-1639 in Washington State & magazines

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

I-1639 in Washington State & magazines

Well... I cannot conceal carry my M&P until I buy new magazines. So will be carrying my RIA M1911A1.
    Washington State has limited the magazine capacity to 10 rounds... the OEM magazines that came with my M&P9 hold 17, effectively making it an assault weapon, now.
    This chiseling away of my rights and turning law-abiding citizens into felons needs to stop.
    David W. Mitchell

Posts liked by others
    Current larger capacity magazine holders are grandfathered . This is a pending bill but with a democratic controlled legislature they pass anything they want.
    Last edited by Ibmikey; 2nd February 2020 at 04:16.

Posts liked by others
    https://www.atg.wa.gov/initiative-1639
    Passed into Law Nov 6, 2018. The ownership & possession of magazines holding more than 10 rounds IS grandfathered. BUT... ONLY in your home or at a "recognized" shooting range. They must not be in the firearm, nor loaded during transport to/from the range.
    The link above is from the attorney general's office.

Posts liked by others
    I've followed the passage of 1639 a bit on other gun forums for the last couple of years as it affects some friends of mine. Every time I have read about it I come away with mixed emotions; anger, fear and a sick feeling in my gut. I hope the unconstitutional laws do not come to my state. But I fear the infringement is inevitable. In my observation of the last 25 years of this type of legislation, it has gone from being tried at a national level to a state level. The anti's have been successful of late down at the state level. Yes, gains have been made by the pro-gun side on the state level as well, but the speed at which the gains made by the anti's seems to be gaining momentum.

That said, I've approached this possible scenario in the future like a balanced portfolion on investing money. I love my 1911's so I've made an effort to have an adequate supply of magazines. I haven't bought any 10 round magazines yet, but I plan to buy a couple and try them and if they work well I will purchase more. For the other residents in my safe I have made sure I have stocked up in the last couple of years, a lifetime supply of high cap mags.

Sorry for you, dwmitchell61. Unlikely, but I hope a case in the future will be made before the supreme court that overturns these unconstitutional laws.
    Last edited by BrettID; 2nd February 2020 at 07:59.

Posts liked by others
    What are you guys talking about? There is no such law in the state of Washington yet as of Feb 4, 2020

Posts liked by others
    Where did you see that Washington state has a 10 rnd capacity limit?