Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advice Wanted on 1968 1911

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    If this will be used as a "carry" gun and yours or other lives might depend on it, I would polish the feed ramp (but not change the angle) and throat the barrel back just enough that there is a minute setback of the barrel from the feed ramp. Polish until it looks like a mirror. When you can feed empty brass out of any magazine you've got it.
    Likes (1) :
    kimberyote (1st March 2020)

Posts liked by others
    As a Vietnam vet myself, perhaps I'm sentimental about such stuff, but my vote is to leave it just like it was when your brother was alive.

Also, be aware that if you carry this gun, and God forbid have to use it, it will be impounded for evidence.
    And you may never get it back.
    This is why I will not carry my Dad's Colt M1903 that was made in 1918.
    Likes (2) :
    kimberyote (1st March 2020), Rick McC. (1st March 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by GARMASTERS View Post
    If this will be used as a "carry" gun and yours or other lives might depend on it, I would polish the feed ramp (but not change the angle) and throat the barrel back just enough that there is a minute setback of the barrel from the feed ramp. Polish until it looks like a mirror. When you can feed empty brass out of any magazine you've got it.
    I’ve never had a 1911 that needed to be “polished” anywhere to make it function reliably. The unnecessary “polishing” of feed ramps and chambers is one of the quickest ways that one can ruin an otherwise fine 1911.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McC. View Post
    I’ve never had a 1911 that needed to be “polished” anywhere to make it function reliably. The unnecessary “polishing” of feed ramps and chambers is one of the quickest ways that one can ruin an otherwise fine 1911.
    Evidently you haven't owned enough 1911's............................................ .....

Posts liked by others
    Many believe that cartridges slide up the ramp. They don't.

Polishing the ramp to mirror finish originates from that mistaken impression. The fact that there are many 1911s (say, 80-90% of them) that don't have polished ramps and insist on working fine, should mean something.

Feeding empty cases is another popular indicator for some, despite the irrelevant OAL of an empty case, or the difference in weight compared with a loaded round.

A 1911 that doesn't feed properly unless the ramp is polished to mirror finish is most likely having extractor or magazine-related problems. Or both.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Likes (2) :
    rice paddy daddy (3rd April 2020), Rick McC. (4th March 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyros View Post
    Feeding empty cases is another popular indicator for some, despite the irrelevant OAL of an empty case, or the difference in weight compared with a loaded round.
    I keep reading reports of 1911s that feed empty cases. I've been shooting 1911s since 1967 and I haven't encountered one yet that will feed an empty case. I do not consider my daily carry pistols to be defective because they won't do something they were not designed to do.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (3) :
    rice paddy daddy (3rd April 2020), Rick McC. (4th March 2020), Spyros (4th March 2020)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123