Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt Mk IV Series 70

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    I second Ric4509, my 1974 Combat Commander has those great looking grips. Love to have another pair...Bill
    NRA LIFE
    Veteran
    Colt Combat Commander Series 70, Colt Gold Cup Series 70, Rock Island Nickel Tactical, Rock Island Compact, Colt Defender,all .45ACP, Ruger 1911/9mm

Posts liked by others
    I seem to remember the sand blasted grips with the silver meds back in that time frame on new pistols. I think it was about 1975-1976 Colt switched.
    NRA Life Member
    Likes (1) :
    kenhwind (1st February 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by dakota1911 View Post
    I seem to remember the sand blasted grips with the silver meds back in that time frame on new pistols. I think it was about 1975-1976 Colt switched.
    I'm inclined to agree. Both of my original Series 70 Colt's, a 72 .45 and a 75 .38 Super had the non checkered sandblasted stocks with silver medallions. Now some of these stocks were aren't as rough as others, but they weren't smooth like the ones in question.
    Then towards the later 70's Colt put the full checkered stocks with gold medallions on all of the 1911 type pistols which previously only came on the Gold Cup.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"
    "It seems to me that I have forgotten more than I remember"

Posts liked by others
    My 1981 Series 70 MkIV has checkered walnut grips with gold Colt medallions.
    Likes (1) :
    MHL555 (13th May 2020)

Posts liked by others
    My Series 70 had those same grips. Same wood, same finish. I did buy it used but I assume d they were original. Mine does have the collet style bushing.

Posts liked by others
    I am definitely not like most of you in terms of knowledge. What I observe (his comment about maybe never fired) is that it has no holster wear. I guess that tells you I use "plastic", and my current is the DeSantis Slim Tuck. And it leaves wear marks. And I don't actually care.

Posts liked by others
    FWIW, ... about a year ago I came into an unfired Series 70 in the original factory box with a serial number that dates it to early 1979.

The grips had the Colt gold-ish medallions but were checkered walnut, not smooth like the OP's.

There were no gold highlights on the rollmarks on mine. Likely the original owner of the OP's did that as a way of personally customizing it ... I also suspect his grips were not the originals.

I'll try to get a pic of it up here.
    Last edited by steppenwolf; 13th April 2020 at 18:05.

Posts liked by others
    I have searched many hours trying to find info on this Colt, like most of you I believed someone highlighted with fingernail polish.. I have this same pistol, nail polish remover tried at one spot didn't remove the gold.. I stopped. Finally found one bit of info beyond OP's thread, on Youtube, MrColt45acp states "[COLOR=var(--yt-spec-text-primary)]this Colt's Mark IV/Series 70 Government Model pistol that was formerly part of the Colt factory archives." It is the same Colt, listed as a "[/COLOR][COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0)]Special Edition Colt's Mark IV/Series 70 Government Model .45 ACP". The three that I have seen are all from 1981, the youtube one an OP"s are B70 series and mine is a 70B. The difference with mine is the gold inlay is also on the frame, the checkered Colt grips an Wilson Combat sights are, I believe aftermarket but with nothing to compare it to, there is only [/COLOR]uncertainty[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0)]..[/COLOR]

SHOW MORE

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric4509 View Post
    The Smooth Grips with Colt Gold Medallion are not aftermarket. They are original. I have them on my Commanders (.45 ACP and 9mm).
    Same here. I bought a new Commander in 1974 with the brushed nickel finish. It had those very same grips on it.

Posts liked by others
    My Lt. Commander was made in 1985, and they came with rougher than normal stocks with no checkering:

30E870A0-74E1-4B3C-AC47-80389DDC0BCD.jpeg
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast