Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt Mk IV Series 70

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Colt Mk IV Series 70

I received this Colt in a trade. I am uncertain what its current valuation is. It appears to be un-fired. The gold lettering and smooth grips are a little flashy. Not knowing too much about these later commercial Colts, is this just a gaudy "shooter' or something collectible?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes (2) :
    MuyModesto (15th January 2020), Rick McC. (1st March 2020)

Posts liked by others
    The smooth grips may well be correct for a 1970s Govt. Model.

As for the lettering, is it really gold-inlaid? Some people like to highlight markings using various materials, a lot of which can be simply washed off with warm water.

The different color of the blueing between the frame and slide seems a bit unusual, to me.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Likes (2) :
    Ric4509 (16th January 2020), Rick McC. (16th January 2020)

Posts liked by others
    My serial# resource material indicates the serial# dates to about 1981. My opinion is the stocks are from the aftermarket. Colt did ship G.M. pistols in the early to mid 70's with non checkered "sandblasted" stocks but there was nothing fancy about those. In the 1981 time period G.M.'s shipped with checkered stocks with gold rampant Colt medallions. The stocks on the pistol appear to me to be a fancy type grain. The slide looks to be turning a plum colour which isn't uncommon. The coloured gold filled roll marks were added by a previous owner and the gold colour will easily come off by using nail polish remover and a tooth brush. The nail polish remover (asetone) will not harm the bluing. It's a nice pistol but nothing rare or exceedingly valuable. I'm sure its a good shooter.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the information. I realize my photos using cloudy day window light has made the finish look a little odd. The sides of the slide and the frame are polished blue. As are the safety and slide catch. The top of the slide, recoil spring housing and the underside of the frame, trigger guard, trigger and finger cut outs are an un-polished, matte finish. The finish has not turned brown or plum. The grips do have gold rampant Colt medallions. Maybe better pictures would help. The gold does not wash out with water. Thanks, again

Posts liked by others
    Colt's serial number lookup also says 1981.

It's not unheard of for Colt to use old stocks of parts in newer guns, if needed, but these grips do indeed look fancier than the 1970s ones. I guess someone could have polished and varnished a pair of those, but there were/are aftermarket sources with Colt medallions out there.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    I think the stocks and Gold inlay are aftermarket. I get 1981 also which means it should have the collet or "finger" barrle bushing. Could have been loved and piddled with and never fired however.
    NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others
    My first Government Model, from 1977 had the "finger" barrel bushing. One day at the range one of the fingers broke off, ruining accuracy for the rest of that morning. That was the first - and the last "finger" barrel bushing I ever had.

Thanks for posting the photos. It's a beautiful pistol you have there. Even the cardboard box (same as mine came in) looks to be in amazing condition for its age.
    i sold all my handguns. . . . . . . . . . except for the 1911 style pistols in .45 ACP.
    Last edited by MuyModesto; 15th January 2020 at 09:54. Reason: One more comment

Posts liked by others
    The usual source of "gold inlay" in roll marks like that is Bonanza Gold, which is a fine bronze dust rubbed into the markings and sealed with a clear coat.
    I don't know what it will take to remove it; something to break down the clear coat to start.

Posts liked by others
    Nice gun!

The instructions for the Bonanza Gold can be downloaded here:

https://www.forsterproducts.com/pdf/...structions.pdf

Looks like the solvent is toluene and xylene. I haven't seen toluene or toluol for sale anywhere for a long time now, except in small quantities for specialized use as in with the Bonanza kit. At Brownells, the solvent (cleaner) is $5.99 for 1.5 oz. I suspect you would need a lot more than that though.

I think Xylol shouldn't be hard to find except maybe in in some states.

It may need to soak for a while, and could make a mess until it's all removed. It's an all or nothing procedure. You don't want something that starts dissolving the lacquer, but doesn't completely remove it.

-
    Likes (1) :
    captiva (25th January 2020)

Last edited by megafiddle; 16th January 2020 at 15:41.

Posts liked by others
    The Smooth Grips with Colt Gold Medallion are not aftermarket. They are original. I have them on my Commanders (.45 ACP and 9mm).
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (16th January 2020)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast