Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SARCO Mags

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

SARCO Mags

Purchased this mag from SARCO recently. My question: is SARCO producing these to fulfill a govt contract? I ask this because the CAGE number 8R320 is actually SARCO's. Also I am curious to what the other series of numbers represent? That is the number sequence of: 1005-00-550-8694.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Posts liked by others
    Looks like a National Stock Number to this ex GI. Put NSN and a space in front of that number and see what a Google search turns up.
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]
    Likes (1) :
    herd118 (18th August 2021)

Last edited by niemi24s; 4th January 2020 at 21:49.

Posts liked by others
    I don't believe Sarco ever held a govt contract for 1911 magazines. 1992 the last original packing date I've observed for genuine USGI magazines though some repacks have later dates. These Sarco magazines have only existed a few years to my knowledge. Also, the nomenclature on this Sarco magazine is different and "upside down" compared to genuine magazines.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Posts liked by others
    Can we see a side-on picture of this mag?

Also, do you see any welds on the magazine body? If so, are they on the front or rear side?
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    I have seen how magazines are made, and I very much doubt that Sarco has the facilities to do it. Sarco is, after all, primarily a gun parts liquidator. They mostly sell a mix of used, new-old-stock (i.e. surplus or overstock), and new second-tier manufactured parts. I'm 98% certain that anything they sell under their name is made for them by a subcontractor, not produced in their own facilities.

Bulletbiter, how did you look up who owns that CAGE code? And what does a CAGE code mean, exactly?

{Edit to add} When I searched the Internet for Cage code 8R320, I came up with Steen Armament Research. They are in Easton, PA, which is where Sarco is located, but that doesn't mean they are the same company.

https://www.armyproperty.com/manufacturer/8R320

https://www.justnsnparts.com/cage-codes/8r320/

Hmmm ... but both companies are at 50 Hilton Street. I suppose "Sarco" could be an acronym for Steen Armaments Research COmpany. It's news to me -- I've been buying stuff from them for twenty years and I never heard of them as anything other than Sarco.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 5th January 2020 at 10:19.

Posts liked by others
    https://govtribe.com/vendors/steen-a...ot-sarco-8r320

and at the bottom of https://www.sarcoinc.com
    What today is arguably the largest dealer in surplus war material in the country, Sarco (an acronym for Steen Armament Research Company), Inc., of Easton, Pennsylvania, actually began quite humbly in the attic of a small apartment. Charles "Cholly" Steen, the company's founder, recalls his next major expansion came by moving into a barn some years later, and then into his first store, all in the anti-gun state of New Jersey.
    Last edited by Pyrenean; 5th January 2020 at 11:18.

Posts liked by others
    As far as I can tell SARCO is the same as Steen Armaments Research Company. I will get some other pics of the mag up tomorrow. At work today. CAGE stands for: Commercial and Government Entity program

Posts liked by others
    More to the point, Pyrenean's GovTribe link shows that the Government uses SARCO as a source of foreign and obsolete weapons' parts, some non-weapon parts for ceremonial and other purposes etc. I didn't go through all the pages of orders, to see if magazines might be mentioned—mainly because I doubt they'd be mentioned as such.

I'm still interested about what the magazines are like, mainly in the position of their welds.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    No welds are evident. The size and location of the witness holes look proper. The drain hole looks similar to old Checkmate mags I have . Let me know if these pictures are sufficient.
    IMG_0806.jpgCheck for more pictures on the next reply. Still trying to figure out this attachment process

Posts liked by others
    A quick look through SARCO's website shows this mag and another, very similar-looking one, whose basepad is marked simply '.45ACP':
    https://www.sarcoinc.com/1911-auto-magazine-7-round/

This product's description goes into some length explaining how these mags are made for/by SARCO. It also mentions the welds being in the back and invisible (I wonder if they're invisible from the inside, too—not that it matters).

Going back to your magazine's webpage, we see that it's not described as a GI magazine, rather it's a magazine "with GI markings"...

The 'Colt 1911' magazine mentions parallel feed lips and 'Latest rounded follower design'... I wonder if this goes for yours as well. I'm not aware of the military ever contracting magazines with parallel feed lips and/or anything other than a GI dimpled follower, but Doran is the one to ask for that one.

(I think the company that came up with curved followers is Metalform--hint-hint)

More importantly: does the magazine work properly?
    M. Setter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast