Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Taurus 1911 in 9mm

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Taurus 1911 in 9mm

Lots of posts on Taurus 1911's and many are very old . I'll just jot down whats going on with my Taurus 1911 in 9mm.

I bought it 8 yrs ago, I stopped round count at 12, 580 because it had never malfunctioned in 12, 580, I got no worries on reliability and its got thousands more rds fired now.

I don't like 9mm , only got it due to I could not shoot my Colt Ace in 22LR for warm up drills due to (drum roll...Obama era 22 LR drought). I had a ton of 1x 9mm brass so I stoked up the casting furnace and made 9mm 200 SWC H&G bullets of 50 50 wheel wt to linotype using Lee 4 Cav. molds. Oh yeah, we had a bullet drought too so making my own kept me on the firing line.

I changed bullet weights, hand loads and never had a stoppage. The Taurus 1911 proved to be a good warm up pistol , then I pull out one of my Colt or Springfield Armory 1911 and run more drills. I need a warm up pistol, I gain cob webs between range sessions: the penalty of being 70 yrs old.

I have zero issues with the Taurus...it has proven a great pistol for my purposes. I paid $450 out the door and no regrets. Came with Novac combat sights and a 3# trigger pull out of the box. Required nothing to upgrade other than better grips.

Maybe I got the only Taurus 1911 made right but I don't think so.

I own way over 20 each Colt 1911..way over. I find zero complaints on the Taurus although it pains me to say that but it ain't a Colt but it performs like one. You get dirty looks from Colt snobs at the range and they think I've lost my mind owning this Taurus but the world has changed these days. Taurus and Armscor make outstanding 1911's and brand stigma aside, US COLT Owners got to accept the genie is out of the box here...CNC machining has made it possible to exactly duplicate a Colt 1911 overseas and sell it here at a awesome price.

Taurus: it ain't the Taurus of 20 yrs ago. Its a heck of a 1911. I got no skin in the game, I'm a Colt guy just saying what I see out of performance. I'd say to anyone if your budget is for a $600 priced 1911, then look at Armscor and Taurus and Remington..usually they can be had $450 and a bit upwards. They are great pistols. You go to $700 price range and higher...Colt and Ruger and SIG offer some nicer finished 1911's which will always have high resale.

Closing shot; I'd buy a few Armscor if it were not a case that I am totally over loaded with Colt 1911's but I do own 1 Springfield and 1 Norinco and 1 Detonics along with the mentioned Taurus. I don't apologize for owning any of them and if they did not perform, they'd be long gone from the pistol harem.
    Last edited by milprileb; 31st December 2019 at 17:05.

Posts liked by others
    Years ago a professor told us that "All companies should strive for ZERO defects... but their people should remember that they will be judged mainly by what they do when things inevitably DO go wrong."

The gist of it, with Tauri 1911s, is that when they work, they work. The problem is when you need (or just want) to change something. It seems that their version of the series-80 style firing pin safety isn't quite identical to that of Colt's, so fit of any new parts relating to it (usually a new extractor) can be an issue, no matter the quality of the new parts.

Of course we don't know if this is still an ongoing problem, but it has come up several times over the years.

The even bigger problem early on was a lack of customer service, if something DID go wrong. Some members reported turn-around times of several months -- not because the guns were selling fast, but because guns in need of repair had to do a lot of traveling, to get to a repair center... somewhere (Brazil?). This has apparently been fixed, but it certainly left a bitter taste for some, in stark contrast to people's experiences with Armscor/RIA, for example.

So people who didn't know how (or didn't want) to fix a problem gun, had to wait months for it to be fixed, while those who fancied themselves capable of replacing a part or three if something went south, sometimes couldn't because of bespoke parts. That's quite an unfortunate combination of affairs, to put it mildly, especially when owners of other affordable 1911 brands recounted stories of changing everything but the frame, slide and barrel and still had a working gun.

Again, if it works, it works. Me, I've never owned one and while I call myself a Colt guy (see 'avatar' picture) if truth be told, my favorite 1911 is my ParaUSA 5" 1911. Which is in 9mm. And a double-stack. Shhh.

Happy New Year!
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Yes, I am aware of the past and the stigma of Taurus reputation and it was well deserved decades ago but we are today at 2020 and us old guys sometimes have got to realize things move on. That said, when I called Taurus when I had 2000 rds fired and wanted to buy the correct 9mm recoil spring from them, their service rep wanted to issue me a Fedex shipping box for free return of pistol for "fitting" of spring. The policy was they don't sell parts but will replace them free. Generous policy but inconvenient, all I needed was another spring so I asked the guy : "Hypothetically, if you replaced this spring, what weight spring is ideal for 9mm". He gave me that answer and I went and got a spring from Brownells.

I don't think service is a problem from Taurus these days and my pistol has yet to have a major part fail/break so I'll update these comments if /when something major has to be repaired. Until then, I'll hammer rounds out of the pistol which has more than paid for itself in service and shooting fun. It cost
    me 1/3 the cost of a Kimber or Springfield Armory 1911 in 9mm and at least $500 cheaper than finding
    Colt 1911 parts and converting one of my 45 acp Colts to 9mm. In sum: I bought it as a hammer to
    pound nails and its doing that nicely.

That said: It has no resale value, its merely a tool, its not a COLT and serves me well. I don't defend it but I can't say I am disappointed by its performance.

and to all who read this...remember Springfield Armory got into the 1911 business with slides and frames made in Brazil and today you won't find anyone mentioning that. Darn good 1911's made there and still are.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
    and to all who read this...remember Springfield Armory got into the 1911 business with slides and frames made in Brazil and today you won't find anyone mentioning that.
    Really? I mention it all the time!
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (17th January 2020)