Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations PLEASE!

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Recommendations PLEASE!

Hello ALL! OWNERS with PRODUCTION mfg, 9mm 1911's, give me input, pros/cons of your specific guns, Please. Will be buying a Full Size, Blued, Gov't model 9mm this year, need info. I'm indifferent to it having a rail/ambi safety. Fiber Optic sights are a plus for my aging eyes. I know 9mm reliability has come a long way since initial production, years ago. Thanks for the input.

Posts liked by others
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    Ric4509 (31st December 2019)

Posts liked by others
    Hello there. You need to give us a budget, because there are plenty of 9mm 1911s around, varying wildly in price.

The more affordable end of the spectrum includes stuff from RIA and Auto-Ordnance, but some of theirs have GI-style sights, which I'm guessing (from your preference for FO front sights) would be a deal-breaker. RIA offers more 'featured' models that include higher sights, however. Not sure for AO.

Colt is definitely a good mid-range option, and despite Colt's adventures, they're probably the safest bet in terms of resale value—if that's a factor.

Beyond that, there's a lot of stuff out there selling for one, two or five thousand $, if you fancy..!

PS: don't tell people how much fun full-size 9mm 1911s are to shoot. More for us, eh?
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Last edited by Spyros; 31st December 2019 at 05:25.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    I have one in 45, LOVE IT! Want to try something different.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyros View Post
    Hello there. You need to give us a budget, because there are plenty of 9mm 1911s around, varying wildly in price.

The more affordable end of the spectrum includes stuff from RIA and Auto-Ordnance, but some of theirs have GI-style sights, which I'm guessing (from your preference for FO front sights) would be a deal-breaker. RIA offers more 'featured' models that include higher sights, however. Not sure for AO.

Colt is definitely a good mid-range option, and despite Colt's adventures, they're probably the safest bet in terms of resale value—if that's a factor.

Beyond that, there's a lot of stuff out there selling for one, two or five thousand $, if you fancy..!

PS: don't tell people how much fun full-size 9mm 1911s are to shoot. More for us, eh?
    I thought my mention of PRODUCTION mfg, narrowed the price range. $1k-$1500k

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mmskng View Post
    No, "production" means standard models manufactured by companies who produce standard models for sale without taking special orders for different options or configurations. That narrows the price range to approximately $400 to $4,000.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Dan Wesson has a good reputation. Price of a PM9 is at the top of your range.

I shoot a Colt and a Springfield, but neither is just like it left the factory.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mmskng View Post
    I can think of several production 5" 9mm 1911s selling below $1k... RIA, Springfield, even Kimber come to mind. And I can think of several from Ruger, STI et al selling above $2K... but I digress.

At the upper end of your limit, there's this. DLC instead of blue, but most of us consider that a serious upgrade. Sorry, no FO but those are tall, clear sights. I just wish it came without the front serrations:
    https://www.colt.com/detail-page/com...t-9mm-blk-5-ns

At the low end (actually a bit below it) there's this:
    https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/fi...1911-g-9mm.asp

And these SAs (one a bit below $1k, parkerized, the other just above, with a Black-T finish):
    https://www.springfield-armory.com/p...r-9mm/#PI9129L
    https://www.springfield-armory.com/p...te-target-9mm/

Finally, Remington offers a couple of things you might like, both with tall FO sights. The first is under-budget, the other is around the middle:
    https://www.remington.com/handguns/m...11-r1-enhanced
    https://www.remington.com/handguns/m...d-single-stack
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    I'm seriously thinking Dan Wesson this time around. I've heard so much negative about Kimber from true, 1911 guys. I always wanted to try a Kimber, since they came out in the '80's, I guess that was the time to buy one, quality was probably a lot better then, and no Schwartz Safety. Didn't really want your guys' suggestions on models, without having actually owned the gun you're talking about. Want first hand knowledge on pros/cons of specific models.
    Last edited by 9mmskng; 31st December 2019 at 11:17.

Posts liked by others
    Ah... then I'm out. My 9mm is made by Para, who are gone, and it's stainless... though the last of the Remington links in my previous post is really a re-badged Para, which they got after liquidating the company. Whether that carries any significance, I have no idea... but mine is a blast to shoot.

FWIW I didn't mention DW before because they're a bit above $1.5k, in 9mm. They're good guns, though. Most of the negative reports we got for them were way back when they were under different management.
    M. Setter
    Last edited by Spyros; 31st December 2019 at 11:52.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast