Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 Build

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Organized my parts. Hope I don't lose any of the small pins/springs!

Attachment 4924

Posts liked by others
    Hello not sure if you received my reply so I will try again. My first build I use parts from Sarco they are good parts. You may have to fit a lot of the small pins and things also the barrel may or may not fit your slide and will need fitting. You will find building a 1911 is very rewarding and kind of addictive. My latest build is a 1911 A1 full size in 40 cal. S&W on an SA 80% frame all the parts are top of the line springs are wolf and the pistol is tuned and has very close tolerance throughout. First round down the barrel hit dead center bulls eye at 9 yards. Good luck on your build. John

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by japsco View Post
    Hello not sure if you received my reply so I will try again. My first build I use parts from Sarco they are good parts. You may have to fit a lot of the small pins and things also the barrel may or may not fit your slide and will need fitting. You will find building a 1911 is very rewarding and kind of addictive. My latest build is a 1911 A1 full size in 40 cal. S&W on an SA 80% frame all the parts are top of the line springs are wolf and the pistol is tuned and has very close tolerance throughout. First round down the barrel hit dead center bulls eye at 9 yards. Good luck on your build. John
    Yes I did recieve your reply (page 2). Thanks again!

Posts liked by others
    Did some measuring today and some more research. Measured barrel, bushing and slide. All measurements within spec.

Barrel hood length=1.315"
    Slide breechface to barrel lug=1.319" (difficult to measure, used starret t gauge and dial calipers)

Attachment 4925

Posts liked by others
    Hi
    Here is some pics from a Commander I built.

Showing the plunger tube install.

I did a thread on the M14 site and will leave a link.

Some good info there if you look and the links should still be good.

ALL knowledge is good and some people spend their entire life learning about the 1911!

https://m14forum.com/gunsmithing/471...ders-here.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

Posts liked by others
    Is that Brownells new plunger tube staking jig? Looks interesting, but I still don't know why they discontinued the ViseGrips version they used to sell.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    ...and is that a Caspian 'Classic' frame, for a Commander? Me likey...
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Thanks seagiant! Will check out the link for sure! Another forum that I enjoy from time to time. I tried my hand at reconditioning of a walnut USGI stock last spring and posted my progress of my Project Recon-14.

Posts liked by others
    Hi,
    The staking tool was bought at Brownell's and I think at the time was made by a company "Gun Runner".

The frame is SS and is a Foster Blem GM that I had Caspian cut to Commander specs for $25!

I have a Bridgeport Mill and can't do it that cheap!

Still working on the pistol and trying to build a Cerekote oven!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Posts liked by others
    Nice seagiant!

I found a nice 6 part article "how to build a 1911" on Brownells website;

https://www.brownells.com/guntech/ho...dex.htm?f_a=13

Part 1 gives a basic list of steps to follow. For me as a new builder, I found the general outline a great start. I'll post the list in case other folks that want to embark on the journey can find it as informative as I do.

1. Decide on the components needed for the purpose of the pistol. Research what is available and any information needed to assemble.
    2. Fit slide to frame.
    3. Fit barrel and bushing.
    4. Machine sight cuts if required and install sights.
    5. Fit trigger, hammer and components.
    6. Fit grip safety and radius frame if required for a beavertail safety.
    7. Fit ejector to frame.
    8. Fit thumb safety.
    9. Fit firing pin, stop and magazine release.
    10. Fit extractor.
    11. Function test with dummy rounds.
    12. Test fire at range.
    Last edited by BrettID; 5th January 2020 at 14:03.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast