Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Dear members,
Please make sure the email address we have for you, is correct and valid.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

Thread: 1911 Build

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McC. View Post
    A 1/16” punch works well for me.

I tried. I'm too uncoordinated to use that on the plunger.

But strangely that is what I use and have mastered, expertly I might add, to do the sear/disconnector and pin install. Practically all in one motion rolling left to rightt.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by megafiddle View Post
    When you first launched the plunger pin, the spring was not attached?

You may need a new spring if the plunger ends don't snap securely into the spring.

(edited to add)

I just noticed the photo in post #184; the plunger pins and spring are not assembled.

Snap the ends of the plunger pins into the ends of the spring. It then becomes a single assembly, and will at least keep everything together.

Then, a kink or offset in the middle of the plunger spring will hold the assembly in the tube when the thumb safety is removed.

-
    Well, I'll be a monkeys uncle! Figured I was doing something wrong and I was.

It had occured to me that a spacebound plunger pin was counterintuitive to the JMB design. Seemed odd that it was extraordinarily, unusually, confoundingly, vexing like an AR detent pin. Now this grasshopper has been enlightened. Thank you very much.

Posts liked by others
    Stopped at a LGS today and bought a set of VZ grip screws that fit. I hadn't visited in a while and discovered they stock a decent amount of 1911 upgrade parts (EGW, Ed Brown, Wilson). I will reacquaint myself with that establishment in the future.
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (3rd August 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Nice work in building a properly functioning gun! You had to get a lot of things right to accomplish that.

I suspect that many trying to build a gun only succeed in building a "1911 shaped object".

-
    Likes (1) :
    BrettID (3rd August 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by megafiddle View Post
    Nice work in building a properly functioning gun! You had to get a lot of things right to accomplish that.

I suspect that many trying to build a gun only succeed in building a "1911 shaped object".

-
    Thanks megafiddle. It does work that's for sure. I most certainly would not quit my day job! I did learn a lot (about the 1911 and myself). I will build another 1911 and I would hope I don't stumble and fumble as much next time.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920