Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Serious, but not offensive revue of our site..

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Serious, but not offensive revue of our site..

perhaps the most important word in the title is my use of “our” site.. due to the steroids I take as part of my c. therapy I’m awake for the majority of the night, I’m a pretty “aggressive” reader, and in candor can say I believe I’ve read all active posts, this revue is based on all of those hours that I’ve spent reading your threads, and my decision to become an active member of your (our) community.

a quick note on the c. I’ve been battling, and winning (thank you Lord) prostate c. for eleven years now, with a side bout with Lymphoma caused by all the types of radiation I initially went through.. thanks to chemo the lymphoma is in remission, but thanks to one of the treatments (lol) i have bladder c. (I know I’m a hoot huh) it’s low grade (refer to the above thank you Lord, and I’ll put the snakes away) here’s the deal, attempted humor aside this has shaped our life, and is something i deal with each and every day, but I’d like this to be a one time post on it from me.. fact is A) I’m winning B) no positive comments necessary, i’m confident you would all offer them, but thanks to the VA paying 2K a month for a newly approved super drug, the future looks brighter than it has for some time, so let’s just make this a one time conversation to let you know what “colors” our (the wife, a wonderful beautiful loving woman I’m blessed to have) life.. and C) i DO NOT want to be known as c. boy, actually I’d honestly prefer we avoid ANY comments about it from now on.. again I brought this out only as something that effects just about everything i do.. with all that said, from now on it’s just Greg..

so finally we get to the review.. I can say in all honesty that this is a wonderful site full of bright people, John has created the perfect back drop for what could be one of the busiest gun sites on the net.. so all that being said why do we have so few active members.. I’m telling you it’s amazing how many threads there are that haven’t had a comment on them for five plus years.. the degree of knowledge that’s here for free is extraordinary, that 39 ounce, slab sided creation of Uncle John is my passion, and i honestly doubted I could find a site with a large number of members who were MORE knowledgeable than I am.. well I did, but fact is the site is.. how should I say this.. underused maybe.. or how about “dry”.. I love reading the in-depth stuff, but I’m not sure it appeals that much to others.. so what do we need, that’s the big question.. I’ve seen sites that were more social that were amazingly popular because of the ongoing back and forth..it’s almost a neighborhood bar sort of thing where there’s one open thread that will have ongoing back and forth comments, the one I remember that was unfortunately ruined by low mod standards and the addition of semi nude pictures (something we would not have here) was a seriously FUN site to go on, and I agree with Hawk on F.B. nope I’m not a member.. yes you might have more trolls, but I think it would be great to have a thread where most anything could be discussed.. I’d honestly like to know more about you guys, and that would be one way of doing it.. ok I’ve successfully written war and peace II, so g’night from AZ, and let’s have some comments about an “open” thread where we could communicate with each other, and have some laughs..

God bless
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (18th December 2019)

Last edited by Pistolpadre; 17th December 2019 at 08:47.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    I guess this site, like several others, have fallen victim of the popularity of the social media. At least, that's what I like to believe.

That, plus the fact that there are so many pistols these days, very few old school types go for the 1911. If only the deniers knew what they are loosing!

By the way, welcome on board, we appreciate your membership!
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org
    Likes (1) :
    Pistolpadre (17th December 2019)

Posts liked by others
    We have those already. There's a place where members can introduce themselves and tell us about themselves.

Then, if you scroll down the index page to the "Miscellaneous" heading, you'll find discussion areas for non-M1911 firearms; "Funny Bits" (for the joke of the day); Photography (for the camera buffs); Knives; Law & Civil Rights (but not politics in general); and then, of course, General Discussion for anything that doesn't neatly fit any of the pre-established discussion areas.

Traffic in all of those discussion areas has fallen off in recent years. I can only attribute it to Facebook and Twitter.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    Pistolpadre (17th December 2019)

Posts liked by others
    Yes Hawk I’ve visited those, and I believe every thread on them.. I don’t believe they will work, well duhh, they haven’t for one.. how about a link on the home page.. you get to the site and immediately you have one thread that I can pretty much promise you would have a lot of comments on it.. say the first one is one of you guys talking about the weekend football games, or what to get for the wife for Christmas.. their not going to be long, or dry, it’s an immediate thing to want to be funny.. self deprecating humor is what we men do best, but it’s the sort of thing you want to check every day because there will be a lot of posts on it.. the title could be something like “so what’s going on with you today” but it has to be in a prominent easy to see and read place.. I know this sound like heresy since the site has always been this way, and for that I’m sorry, I do NOT want to ruffle any feathers. and John you make it sound like it’s a lack of interest in our old girl the 1911, no sir I don’t believe that, it’s still America’s pistol, and interest couldn’t be higher..I want this site to be a thriving profit making place that all the regulars, new and old will want to visit often.. it has to have the main content it does.. but can you imagine getting six or eight new post alerts, and the fun of reading about, say David’s trip to the range, and then being kidded for shooting the target holder, or sending the recoil spring on a merry trip across the room (come on we’ve all done it at first) Believe me my motives here are only to improve, not just CHANGE anything..
    Last edited by Pistolpadre; 17th December 2019 at 14:26.

Posts liked by others
    David didn't shoot the target holder. I did.

Also, stainless recoil spring plugs are easier to find in the grass, post-launch...
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    I love this place! I visit almost every day.

I remember the day I got my first 1911 like yesterday. I was 18. Went to a gun show and traded a Ruger Blackhawk (with which I had negligently shot myself) and a barreless M37 Ithaca for a Milsurp Ithaca 1911A1. Proud as could be, I took it to show my Dad. The very first thing he did was send the recoil spring plug flying into the weeds 20 or 30 feet from where we were standing. It took me hours to find it.
    Last edited by Rakkasan; 19th December 2019 at 04:59. Reason: Replaced "accidentally" with "negligently"

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistolpadre View Post
    Yes Hawk I’ve visited those, and I believe every thread on them.. I don’t believe they will work, well duhh, they haven’t for one..
    But they did work, for a long time ... until Facebook took most of the traffic away.

how about a link on the home page.. you get to the site and immediately you have one thread that I can pretty much promise you would have a lot of comments on it..
    John periodically sends out e-mails with links to recent posts/threads. So do several other forums to which I subscribe. I'm pretty certain that most recipients just delete the e-mails. If you registered with a valid e-mail address, you should start receiving those soon.

At the upper left of any forum screen, at the left end of the menu bar, is one for "New Posts." Click on that and you'll be taken to a listing of posts entered since your last visit. But that's only useful when members post. That's the issue, and adding more links or ways to get to new posts won't create new posts. You are looking for ways to shovel water against the tide. Lack of member participation isn't an issue just on this site -- it's affecting Internet forums everywhere. I know -- it's being discussed on multiple forums of which I am a member.

... and John you make it sound like it’s a lack of interest in our old girl the 1911, no sir I don’t believe that, it’s still America’s pistol, and interest couldn’t be higher..
    Believe it or not, that's your prerogative. Whether or not you choose to believe it, what we have told you is the truth. Facebook and Twitter have kidnapped huge chunks of participants from conventional Internet forums such as this one (and Rimfire Central, and most others). One firearms-related forum I check out from time to time recently ran a survey on member age. 42.86% are over 65. 28.57% are 55 to 65. 20.78% are 45 to 55. That adds up to 71.43% over the age of 55, and 92.21% over the age of 45. Can you see the trend? Younger people aren't interested in guns, and younger people are the demographic that makes the most use of the Internet. Younger people also aren't interested in 1911s. On general interest firearms forums, I am frequently derided for carrying a 1911. Many people apparently just can't comprehend why a purportedly sane adult would choose to carry such an antiquated firearm when there are such wonders as the Glock and the Shield available.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 18th December 2019 at 09:12.

Posts liked by others
    Spros; hey that’s great, the alert had me grinning, or maybe it was my morning coffee “buzz” one or the other, but you proved the point about the humor, and I couldn’t wait to get on and make a comment. no wait that last sounds a tad bizarre.. guess I better put down the coffee..

Rakassan; oh man we have GOT to hear about the Blackhawk story, I’ve only had one of them, a stainless super in 30 carbine, I had a love hate relationship with that big thing, and can see it wanting to put a round through me, like yours it got traded before it could..don’t feel bad about the A.D. I always heard you weren’t really a shooter till you had one, thought NO WAY I’m not that stupid.. uhh, summer of 1982 or 83 I had finished my dry fire dime drill (laid flat on the front sight, & not disturbed by trigger pull) dropped the empty mag, inserted the magazine I carried for self defense (185 hollow point that some wag had named the flying ashtray due to the size of the HP) went to condition one, drew a bead on the red vase I had used as a target for the past 15 or so min and pulled the trigger.. gospel stuff.. nailed the vase with fore said 185 JHP.. in the little apartment I shared with my GF (who came out of the kitchen with this stunned look) the noise was deafening, my rock steady hands (as opposed to now lol) were shaking from loss of fine finger movements, I was incredibly lucky (as well as stupid obviously) the round was stopped by a sofa cushion, we joined the couple neighbors who came out to look around, I’m all “gosh anybody else hear that”.. no alcohol or drugs were involved in a moment I will NEVER forget, and 10 min later everyone was just chatting away.. so tell us about shooting yourself.. this is getting good!
    Last edited by Pistolpadre; 18th December 2019 at 09:39.

Posts liked by others
    Hawk; first off I do receive the email alerts of a thread comment.. and I agree with you on age demographics, you can tell that by looking at our own site members posted birthdays alone.. I have truly scoured this site, it’s fascinating, and I’m absolutely sincere about my comments re: this being a perfect blank canvas for a higher traffic site, this site is perfect except for participation, which I think an open conversational thread would help.. your correct about the location, anyone can find it (if you look) I won’t argue with you on other internet sites having less participation these days.. actually I won’t argue with you about anything, if I’ve stepped on anyone’s toes I sincerely apologize..it’s been years since I’ve visited a site much less been active, but I always hated it when members were adversarial in any way, and your post above is flat adversarial.. of course I believe you, why wouldn’t i, yes I know that the younger population gets nervous if there’s an exposed hammer, but I know the big box stores magazine section, and my local range is full of 1911’s .. I’m the interloper here, and if I’ve irritated you, again I apologize.. frankly if that’s the case i’ll exit like a gentleman, I’m very sincere about that, or if you think my more “conversational” style will fit I’ll stick around..I think we’re both the typical alpha males, and there is no way I’m going to get in a contest with you.. I just remember in the past looking forward to getting on my favorite site and hearing the news and views of other members..

Posts liked by others
    well I’ve managed to add an avatar, “self”, but see I’ve cleverly got it upside down.. just amaz'n

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast