Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: 45 ACP upper on TCM/9mm double stack

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

45 ACP upper on TCM/9mm double stack

OK, I can't seem to find any information concerning this. I know there may be an issue with the ejector being too wide for the 45 Slide. Other than that, is there any reason that a 1911 45 ACP upper would't work on the TCM/9mm combo? Would the 13 round 45 mag work? In other words, has anyone tried this? It would give you the ability to have a 4 caliber pistol with 2 slides. i.e. TCM/9mm/38 Super and 45 ACP.

Or would the better solution be to go with the hi cap 45 and add a TCM /9mm 1911 upper and spare 38 Super barrel with an ejector swap?

Thanks
    Thaine

Posts liked by others
    Depends on the ramp type.
    I found one picture of TCM with plain barrel like .45 but another with integral ramp. Which is preferable in smallbores anyhow.

Posts liked by others
    Actually, you can have five calibers: .22 TCM, 9mm, .38 Super, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. Para used the same breech face cut for 9mm, .38 Super, and .40 S&W. I know this works because I recently converted an older Para-Ordnance P14.40 to 9mm. I used an Ed Brown 9mm extractor and it was too loose out of the box, but after retensioning it works fine.

I believe Para also used the same ejector for all calibers, so if you use a Para slide you may not have a problem with the ejector. Worst case, knock out the ejector retaining pin and lose it. When the ejector is installed in the pistol, it can't go anywhere.

Make certain any barrels you buy have the correct ramp type. I believe Armscor uses the Clark-Para ramp; the Wilson-Nowlin ramp won't work.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 15th December 2019 at 20:48.

Posts liked by others
    OK, I just did a bit of parts swapping and checking. My TCM is a 1911A2 with a reasonably low (?) serial number in the TCM 64XX range. I have had it awhile. The 9mm barrel has no ramp and a stock 45 barrel, both Colt and Taurus, fits up basically identically as the 9 did. So does a Colt 38 Super barrel I have. The TCM barrel has a short ramp that extends back into the mag well but not down into the frame. Colt and Taurus 45 slides will go on until they meet the extractor. A Rock Island 9mm slide goes on all the way. No surprise. The breech face is too narrow for a .40, fitting 9's just fine. SARCO has a couple of Para 5" 45 ACP slides, but are they cut for the narrow or wide extractor? Maybe a phone call will get that info. Otherwise it looks like I would have to have a 45 slide milled to accept the wider ejector and then all would be a go. I guess the big question is "Is it true that all Para slides are cut for the 9mm/38 ejector?" If so then the complete 45 Para upper for $185 that SARCO has along with proper mags should put me in business. Or the unpinned ejector swap would be the next solution unless I could get a slide milled.

This idea started at coffee today when a friend was thinking about getting a 2011 frame and building a multi caliber gun. I suggested going the Rock Island route and then decided I might add a 45 to mine since the only double stack 45's I have are a S&W M&P and Springfield XD Compact.