Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: And the new guy buys a new 1911 (don’t get excited it’s a cheapie)

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Ballistic fingeprinting, AFAICT, was the original intention behind the extra cases. Maryland repealed their Integrated Ballistics Identification System (MD-IBIS) in 2015. According to the NRA-ILA, https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015...ng-shell-games , they started their efforts in 2000. After 15 years they had tasked their Maryland State Police with storing 340,000 shell casings. New York was also in on this effort and pulled the plug on their law in 2012. It would be great to know if any states are still requiring fired cases. Even if states no longer have a law requiring cases to be sent with handguns, I would encourage the anti-2nd amendment states to do so, so that they too can enjoy the benefits of wasting taxpayer money, and storage space as did New York and Maryland

I am still reloading the cases that I "scored" in my gun purchases.
    Likes (2) :
    Pistolpadre (3rd January 2020), Rick McC. (4th January 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Oh, to seqway back on topic. My 9mm 1911 was ammo sensitive at first. Light 9mm would not cycle the gun at all. The round would fire and the slide would just sit there. My gunsmith told me to expect this and that intially to use hotter and heavier ammo. He reported good success with Blazer Brass. I did too. Nato 9mm was also good. After a 1000 rounds, yes that much, the gun was running fine with all the ammo I could find. So, if you notice a cycling problem early on, step up a bit on the ammo. And, yes, that extra metal on those 9mm barrels adds extra weight - it ain't you. 9mm recoil, and ammo cost factors, are nice.

Range report request please!
    Likes (1) :
    Pistolpadre (3rd January 2020)

Posts liked by others

Pictures

Here are pictures of Pistolpadre's beautiful 9mm RIA. Smudged Serial number artifacts are mine:

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrenean View Post
    Oh, to seqway back on topic. My 9mm 1911 was ammo sensitive at first. Light 9mm would not cycle the gun at all. The round would fire and the slide would just sit there. My gunsmith told me to expect this and that intially to use hotter and heavier ammo. He reported good success with Blazer Brass. I did too. Nato 9mm was also good. After a 1000 rounds, yes that much, the gun was running fine with all the ammo I could find. So, if you notice a cycling problem early on, step up a bit on the ammo. And, yes, that extra metal on those 9mm barrels adds extra weight - it ain't you. 9mm recoil, and ammo cost factors, are nice.

Range report request please!
    Or, you could save a lot of $$ spent on ammo and just go to a lighter recoil spring.

I run a 10 pound recoil spring on my four inch 9mm Wilson Professional. I’m sure it’d run fine with a 13 pound spring, but it had a 10 pound one in it when I got it, so I just kept using those.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Posts liked by others
    I forgot to post a pic in my response:

6FF89EAE-9873-47B4-A8B9-6F8684FE5952.jpeg
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Likes (2) :
    Pistolpadre (3rd January 2020), Pyrenean (2nd January 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Notes on the RIA pics..Before anyone thinks I had to put the “snakes away” before taking the pics..the honest (and I suppose sad) truth is I was more concerned with a solid place than “staging” .. Randy; thanks again for posting, and know I didn’t laugh at Rick’s (owner of one beautiful Wilson combat) “or you could save a lot of $$ spent on ammo and just go to a lighter recoil spring” honest I didn’t, not once.. ok, excuse me I have to go put the snakes away..
    Last edited by Pistolpadre; 3rd January 2020 at 04:08.

Posts liked by others
    Nice guns, both of them!

9mm 1911s with 5" barrels supposedly need 14lb recoil springs, per Colt and Wolff. Many other makers prefer springs in the 12lb range, including folks like STI, who probably sell more guns in 9mm than in .45 Auto. To put that in perspective, Colt and Wolff also recommend 14lb springs for 5" guns in .38 Super... methinks that Colt et al recommend these springs for 9mm simply in case their guns wind up shooting mainly things like 9mm NATO, which isn't at all improbable in some foreign environs...
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Likes (2) :
    Mark75H (5th January 2020), Rick McC. (11th February 2020)

Last edited by Spyros; 2nd February 2020 at 06:14.

Posts liked by others
    I like that Rock Island emblem is just on the rear of the slide. Looks nice and neat. Waiting to hear about range time with the pistol. Love my Rocks...Bill
    NRA LIFE
    Veteran
    Colt Combat Commander Series 70, Colt Gold Cup Series 70, Rock Island Nickel Tactical, Rock Island Compact, Colt Defender,all .45ACP, Ruger 1911/9mm

Posts liked by others

Icon17

That Wilson is superb looking. Thanks for the pic. Bill
    NRA LIFE
    Veteran
    Colt Combat Commander Series 70, Colt Gold Cup Series 70, Rock Island Nickel Tactical, Rock Island Compact, Colt Defender,all .45ACP, Ruger 1911/9mm
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (11th February 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Nothing wrong w/9mm. My other personal defense device is a S&W M&P 9mm Full, version 1. It's an easy shooter. My gal got herself a Kimber Sapphire Micro in .380ACP... the hot brass from my M&P was going down her cleavage....LMAO!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12