Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: lube

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

lube

As the owner of a Norinco model of the 1911A1 I ask what is the preferred lubricant for this pistol?

Are the state of the art greases ok for it or should one stick with conventional oil which was the lubricant available for these at the time of their wide spread use.

I am talking about strictly 1911A1 mil spec.

Rmocarsky

Posts liked by others
    Gun lube discussions tend to be like gunpowder discussions in the forum's reloading section: everyone has a favorite and are incensed that others DARE to like something else..!

Personally, I think that unless you live in a part of the world with an unusual climate, just about any oil meant for gun use will work just fine.

Grease has its followers, for friction areas such as the rails. IMHO unless you plan to shoot the gun in the rain or under any conditions where the oil might get washed away, or in extremely hot weather, grease is probably not necessary.

Note that the 1911 doesn't actually need a lot of oil to run. Just make sure there's some slippery-ness in the friction and locking surfaces of the gun. Some people are fans of the 'gurgle-gurgle' school of gun lubing... I think you run a high risk of having oil go to places it definitely shouldn't go (mainly thinking of the magazine) when you do that.

Getting away from gun lubes, a good synthetic automotive oil will work well too, in most weather conditions.

Don't ever allow the gun to even be in the same room as a can of WD-40.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Likes (4) :
    grayman (10th December 2019), MuyModesto (3rd August 2020), seagiant (2nd January 2020), Sergio Natali (4th December 2019)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyros View Post
    Don't ever allow the gun to even be in the same room as a can of WD-40.
    quite amusing!

WD only stands for Water Displacement, so it is not a gun oil, and although it works to clean a firearm, it does not have the same properties as a proper gun oil would.
    I don't think lubricating a gun is a particularly difficult duty for a lubricant, in particular if one cleans and relubes frequently, one can’t over clean a gun, I always clean a gun every time I shoot it.
    For bore cleaning I use BALLISTOL oil, brass brushes, clean patches and a lot of elbow grease...
    In general I first use some WD40 then BALLISTOL and wipe everything properly with clean cloths.
    I apply a bit of TETRA Gun Grease on the rails and outside of the barrels.
    In very cold weather I replace the grease with some drops of MOBIL 1.
    Never had a single issue in 40 + years.
    Originality can't be restored, so put "originality" at the top of a priority list. If JMB didn't put it on the 1911 you don't need it.
    Likes (2) :
    seagiant (2nd January 2020), slohunter (3rd August 2020)

Posts liked by others
    I do have my favorite oils but in reality any oil will work from motor oil to a special gun oil. Just keep your gun lubed and it will run.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member, GOA Member, MGO Member
    Likes (3) :
    Mark75H (5th December 2019), seagiant (2nd January 2020), Sergio Natali (3rd March 2020)

Posts liked by others
    As "gun" oils go, I prefer Gun Butter. However, my primary 1911 lubricant is my home-brewed mix of Mobil-1 15W50 motor oil (or maybe it's 20W50, I don't remember) with some microfine molybdenum powder mixed in. The multi-viscosity oil flows well enough at room temperature but doesn't run off when the gun gets hot, and the moly powder adds some high pressure resistance for when heat thins out the oil.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (4) :
    Mark75H (5th December 2019), MuyModesto (3rd January 2021), Rick McC. (5th December 2019), seagiant (2nd January 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Just a general hint.
    Stihl chainsaw bar oil does a great job on my chainsaws, but yield not to the temptation to put it on 1911 rails. One would think the stuff would thin out when the
    temperature hits 112 F, but noooo..
    Don't ask.
    Likes (1) :
    Spyros (13th December 2019)

Last edited by Pyrenean; 4th December 2019 at 11:14.

Posts liked by others
    I've been happy with the results from "Extreme Weapons Grease". Very gentle and sparing application with a Q-tip gets the job done every time for me.
    i sold all my handguns. . . . . . . . . . except for the 1911 style pistols in .45 ACP.

Posts liked by others
    I'll echo the general sentiments of Spyros and Hawkmoon and DavidO and Sergio. They are wise men. Buy a quart of Mobil 1 10W40 or even 20W50 for $7. Using a Qtip you can lightly lube the rails, guide rod, barrel, trigger rails, etc.,etc., and with a 79 cent dropper bottle you can lightly lube whatever else needs it. For $7 a quart, you'll have all the lube you need for years. Fancy named lubes like Amphibian Fat, Lizard Lipids, etc. that are $8 to 10 for 4 ounces won't be any better--in fact they may be worse, you're just paying for their name. If Mobil 1 or a similar oil can handle the rigors and heat of an engine cycling at 2500 rpm, it should be able to handle your needs at practically any ambient temperature. Just my opinion. It's your money, spend it how you want.
    Likes (4) :
    Mark75H (5th December 2019), MuyModesto (31st May 2020), seagiant (2nd January 2020), Sergio Natali (3rd March 2020)

Posts liked by others
    I put my magic mix in Brownells' mini oiler bottles:

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod44434.aspx

The steel needle tip is small enough to get into very small spaces, and it won't wear out in a lifetime of use. These little oilers will dispense a much smaller amount than a cheap eyedropper bottle you get at the pharmacy.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (2) :
    MuyModesto (5th December 2019), Rick McC. (5th December 2019)

Posts liked by others
    I have to agree that a $7 bottle of synthetic motor oil is probably better than the expensive gun oils. My 1911s get a synthetic grease on the rails and barrel feet and synthetic motor oil everywhere else.
    Likes (1) :
    seagiant (2nd January 2020)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast