Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So who do I think I am? Who cares!!

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

So who do I think I am? Who cares!!

I've been reading some of the old threads about problems with Kimber. Even saw a few where the authors have dumped their K guns and gone elsewhere. One guy talled aboiut how rude ot os to talk about NOT having issues with something. An amazing group of posts to say the least. So here's my .02 worth.

Been handling 1911's for over 45 years. Had some that were terrific, and some that I couldn't dump fast enough. I've owned Colts (duh!), Detonics, Remingtons, Singers, Sigs, and Kimbers. At the moment I have four 1911's. Two Para P12.45s (one is an LDA), a Kimber Super Carry Ultra 2, and a Tisas M45 which has surprised the heck out of me, with its quality of workmanship, functionality, and accuracy.

Considering the $ involved, I'd like to say that the Kimber worked flawlessly, out of the box. But it didn't. Feeding issues the first time out, as has happened with a lot of 1911's over the years. What was a real problem thirty years ago, is now a simple fix in most cases, because I took the time to learn how to deal with that.

Actually, the Para 1911s worked great from day one, but they were prepared for daily carry as soon as I got them. And the Tisas had a horrible action NIB, so it got fixed. Pretty simple, actually.

Point being, the weapon doesn't have to be high dollar to work well. But it is YOU that needs to learn how to maintain it from the git go. How to deal with it out of the box, after your first range experience, and what preventive medicine you need to provide so that the weapon can defend your life, reliably and possibly repeatedly. If you buy a muscle car but don't know the dip stick from the radiator cap, sooner or later your car is gonna pass out on you for lack of attention from an informed owner. Same with your guns. While I support the notion that...."For that kind of money, I shouldn't be having a problem", anything mechanocal can fail, or just not work right. You need to know a few things, and know at least one gunsmith who can work on your 1911 without leaving iodiat scratches on it. There are fewer of those out there than you my realize.

So no matter what brand you choose, or what model, or how much you did/didn't spend, don't whine when it does something thats unacceptable. Figure out how to solve the problem, then go shoot the dang thing and have a great time. Thats what its all about.

Posts liked by others
    Welcome to the greatest 1911 forum!!

Posts liked by others
    Welcome aboard.

Actually, lately we don't hear as many complaints about Kimbers as we used to. A few years back their chief marketing 'guru' moved on, to another well-known 1911 maker/seller, which may or may not be relevant to that...

Kimber started the 'fully-featured production 1911' trend back in the 90s, and it's probably fair to say they don't get enough credit for it — IF 'fully-featured' 1911s are your cup of tea, which they certainly seem to be, for plenty of people then and now. They had a few issues (early MIM parts, and who remembers that external extractor?) but so did many others, and manufacturing technology and know-how move on. IMHO other 1911 makers have fallen foul of much more serious mistakes.

I wish Kimber would offer some 4.25" pistols, with a barrel bushing, instead of the 4" mid-sized, bull-barrel models. Just a personal preference. And some 5" pistols without those front serrations. Ugh. Finally, I wish they used a trigger-operated firing pin safety (aka 'Series 80') rather than what they have. Again, personal preference and a long story. But that's just me, and obviously if you buy one, you'll know what serrations it has and how it works and looks overall, so why complain?
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    In the years I owned many 1911s, among them three were KIMBERs, but I had some issues only with one.

I still have and use at the range one of them, it's a beautiful old stainless steel "Gold Combat", it's very well finished, extremely accurate, and in all honesty is not that different from my WILSON COMBAT CQB.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Originality can't be restored, so put "originality" at the top of a priority list. If JMB didn't put it on the 1911 you don't need it.

Posts liked by others
    I have the Kimber Custom II, which I think is their lowest price gun on the California roster. It's also the only 1911 I have that has never once had a malfunction. It works great with all my magazines and all the various rounds of ammo I've put through it. On the day i got it I swapped-out the grips for Pachmayr Signatures, which i use on all my pistols. Weeks later I swapped-out the FLGR for a standard length one, recoil spring and recoil spring plug. Right now it's in the shop for a trigger job to lighten up the pull about half a pound. As far as I'm concerned, "it's a keeper"!
    i sold all my handguns. . . . . . . . . . except for the 1911 style pistols in .45 ACP.

Posts liked by others
    I have circa 2004 Kimber Team Match II 45 Acp with the external extractor. I do load development for every firearm and quickly learned my Kimber needs ammo with a .469" casemouth crimp. Since I never buy factory ammo it's never been an issue. If I was using factory a little cleanup with a reamer would resolve it.
    Custom Caspian 1911 45 ACP Compensated, Kimber 1911 Team Match II 45 ACP, Springfield Stainless Loaded Target 1911 9mm, Cz Czechmate 75 TS 9mm Major.

Posts liked by others
    I think most people who find exception when a purchased item does not function on first use are not whiners. The brands you listed are mass market products and they should function out the box. It is not on me to learn repair and provide maintenance first day. Particularly since many current manufacturers claim their pistols do not need a significant 'break-in' regiment.

I have since learned how to maintain and build my own custom 1911's but that is not relevant to this point.
    Likes (2) :
    L-2 (8th December 2019), Rick McC. (9th December 2019)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Frgood View Post
    It is not on me to learn repair and provide maintenance first day.
    I agree with Frgood. A firearm is a product. It is made, marketed and sold to perform certain functions. If it does not perform those functions when it is new, it is defective. It is not the responsibility of the buyer/owner to know how to repair it and to do so; it is the manufacturer's responsibility to repair the product to serviceable (functional) condition.

Look up "Implied warranty of merchantability." https://legaldictionary.net/implied-...rchantability/
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Both Frgood’s and Hawkmoon’s comments are exactly how I feel, and why I quit the brand years ago.

I can work on my own 1911’s, but don’t believe that I should have to to make a new one function reliably.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Posts liked by others
    My Pro Carry II worked flawlessly with ball and hollow point ammo. I admit it had some feeding interruptions with semi-wadcutter reloads. A little polish on the feed ramp, and it's running great for 15 years with those too. I carry it, and compete with it.

This year, I added a Micro 9. Beyond one magazine that gets sticky, it's a great performer too.

I find Kimbers an honest value. Like any mechanical device, it may require a little tuning. That doesn't make me in the least uncomfortable...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast