Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wilson Combat magazine issue

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Wilson Combat magazine issue

Bought three 10 round magazines, having a issue with releasing the slide lock with magazines inserted, even pulling back the slide a little to release tension on the slide lock doesn't allow it the be released.
    Tried them in all 5 of my 1911s. Only the Sig Sauer was able to release the slide and go into battery.
    The others are Kimber, Springfield and 2 RIA, none of them would release the slide to go into battery.
    Never a problem with my 8 round magazines.

Help ???

Posts liked by others
    Are you trying to drop the slide with an empty magazine in place? If so, you shouldn't necessarily be able to do so since the magazine follower is pushing up against the slide stop. Besides it's considered poor 1911 etiquette to drop a 1911 slide on an empty chamber.

-----------------------------

Do the empty Wilson's easily seat in all pistols using only your thumb to push them up into the locked position?

If not, will they easily seat with the slides locked back?

If not, you must determine if it's the magazine floor plate that is in hard contact with the cut out at the bottom of the frame or if the feed lips are in contact with the ejector or if the feed lips are in contact with the slide.
    Likes (1) :
    Ric4509 (8th December 2019)

Last edited by Steve in Allentown; 9th November 2019 at 07:00.

Posts liked by others
    Yes, I was trying to drop the magazine with a empty ... Even if I pulled back on the slide while pressing down on the mag release, I wasn't able to get the slide into battery. I don't ever just use the slide release without a loaded magazine.
    I couldn't even get the slide stop to go into battery with a loaded mag ( snap caps ) just by pressing the slide release, had to pull back on the slide to decrease they tension.
    No problem with my 7/8 round magazines, only the 10 round ones.
    I'm thinking just stronger magazine springs, I don't know.

Posts liked by others
    I would suggest loading the mags with 10 rounds and forgetting about them for a few days. Over the years I've had similar problems with a variety of magazines and it seems like this technic makes the springs "softer" without adversely affecting reliable feeding.
    Rob

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by tdy1958 View Post
    Yes, I was trying to drop the magazine with a empty ...
    It should be extremely difficult, and perhaps impossible, to drop the slide on a 1911 with an empty magazine inserted. That is how the gun is designed.

I can't think of a reason why I'd want to release the slide on an empty magazine.
    Likes (2) :
    Ric4509 (8th December 2019), Rick McC. (9th December 2019)

Posts liked by others
    Wilson includes instructions with their magazines. From their instruction page...

https://s3.amazonaws.com/wilsoncomba...s/47Series.pdf
    Like other mechanical devices, your Wilson Combat® magazine may be a little stiff when first used. This is normal and should not effect its feeding capabilities, however you will notice that as you use your magazine it will become easier to load and seat in your pistol and it will function even more smoothly over time. If you wish to expedite the break in process simply leave your new magazine loaded to capacity for a day or two, this will pre-set the spring to normal operating tension.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by tdy1958 View Post
    Yes, I was trying to drop the magazine with a empty ... Even if I pulled back on the slide while pressing down on the mag release, I wasn't able to get the slide into battery. I don't ever just use the slide release without a loaded magazine.
    ??? You don't ever use the slide release without a loaded magazine? You just said in the preceding sentence that you were using the slide release with an empty magazine.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    Ric4509 (8th December 2019)

Posts liked by others
    Wilson Combat FAQ page on magazines

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/faqs/

WHY WON'T THE SLIDE STOP DROP ON AN EMPTY MAGAZINE?

Because we use extra power springs for improved feeding and lockback, your unloaded magazine should not allow the slide to drop when empty by using the slide release. When the magazine is loaded with ammunition it will be easy to drop the slide using the slide release.
    It is not an important tactical feature for
    an empty magazine to allow the slide to drop over it. Flawless feeding and reliable lockback on empty are more important.

Posts liked by others
    When I get a new Wilson magazine I always load it up and leave it on my bench for a week before I use it. It does seem to get the spring to take a set and I have never had any issues with them at all. Think it is probably more important with the flat wire springs but also beneficial for the round wires.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member, GOA Member, MGO Member
    Likes (1) :
    Johns961 (26th April 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Field-strip the pistol.

Take the frame and insert one of your existing, working magazines, until it locks normally. Note how far above the top of the frame the magazine is protruding.

Now remove it and repeat with one of the 10-rounders. Is it sitting just as high, or maybe a wee bit higher?
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast