Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recoil spring plug

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Recoil spring plug

My Kahr A/O 1911 Commander (built in 2001 when Kahr first took over A/O) was in need of a new recoil spring plug. Everything about this gun is slightly off standard, so I purchased a Swenson plug from Midway that was claimed to be ok for both full size and Commander size guns. All other brand plugs are marked for either the Commander size gun or full size gun. Am I safe to use this?
    Last edited by RitaR; 7th November 2019 at 22:20.

Posts liked by others
    How long is it?

Can you post a link to the product description?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others

Posts liked by others
    Well, that's pretty useless. How long is it?
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    Excluding the nose of the plug it is almost exactly one inch.

Posts liked by others
    I will answer my own question. The recoil spring plug that I asked about is 1.125" (including the nose). This is almost exactly the length of a Colt Commander plug, so no problem on my A/O Commander. The reason Midway sells it for both Commander and full size guns is because a Commander length plug will work fine in a full size 1911. (Information gathered from other forums.)

Posts liked by others
    The test of whether it will work in your pistol is to insert it in the slide with the barrel bushing in place. If the back end of the plug doesn't protrude beyond the back of the recoil spring tunnel in the slide, you're good to go. If it protrudes, you will have to grind it down until it doesn't protrude.
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    RitaR - The Swenson recoil spring plug you purchased from Midway will work on your AO commander model.

Posts liked by others
    WAIT.

Is your AO Commander actually commander-length, i.e. has a 4-1/4" barrel? Some of those older pistols were 'Commanders' only by name, but actually had 4" barrels with barrel bushings. Which is a somewhat bad idea -- which, in turn, is why you don't see many of them today (Springfield tried it, too, in the mid-90s, then changed to bull barrels). There's just too little space between the rear of the bushing and the top barrel lugs, when the gun recoils to the rear, and interference there can cause problems (usually broken bushings).

As for this plug being usable in both Commander-length and Government pistols... IMHO this is grossly misleading. It is true that plugs that are to be used with full-length recoil spring guides (i.e. with the requisite hole in them) can be whatever length their maker pleases, and are usually Commander-length. Makes sense, because the shaft of the guide rod takes care of centering the spring. But a closed-end, Commander-length plug, combined with a GI recoil spring guide, in a 5" pistol, will allow the spring considerably more wiggle room. Not an entirely sound idea, IMO.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    This is what RitaR is most probably she's referring to:

38330.jpg

Auto Ordnance Commander
    Last edited by Ric4509; 11th November 2019 at 12:55.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast