Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Mil Spec Range Report

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Mil Spec Range Report

Hey yall. I recently acquired a Springfield Mil-Spec in .45acp. I managed to get it out today and ran approximately 200 rounds of hard ball, both Wolf and Rem UMC 230gr, without a single failure or malfunction. I am extremely pleased with the accuracy of this handgun.

My first twenty rounds were benched from 7/10/15/25 yards with the UMC 230gr, five rounds at each distance (I accidently put 6 rounds on the 15yd target). My only modifcations thus far have been adding cocobolo double diamond grips and a sheet metal Wilson Combat front grip strap as well as painting to front sight dot orange. The trigger is extremely crisp with about a 1/16th of a inch of take up with about a 5-6 pound pull. It was very easy to shoot this gun accurately. As a side note, no hammer bite, although the inside of my thumb where it rides on the thumb safety is quite sore, but to be expected. The handgun is extremely well-fitted, barrel lockup tight as a bank vault. I should also mention my point of aim was dead center.

Now for the picutres!

Likes (4) :
    Czubek (14th May 2021), Gruntshooter (10th November 2019), MuyModesto (6th November 2019), PolyKahr (1st December 2019)

Last edited by Georgian87; 5th November 2019 at 14:14.

Posts liked by others
    Excellent report. Springfield makes great pistols and IMO has great customer service.
    Also, your groups are tight and accurate. As your target grouping shows, there is absolutely no reason to change the barrel bushing, add a FLGR, change the safety and slide release, etc., etc. On other forums that I read I see where someone buys a pistol and then wants to change it all up without ever seeing how it shoots. What you have shown is that a pistol as designed by John Browning over a hundred years ago is still an excellent pistol.
    Likes (2) :
    1911crazy (20th November 2019), Czubek (14th May 2021)

Posts liked by others
    georgian87, Congrats on your purchase and on your targets. Great value for the money, isn't it? I have the same gun, purchased about 4-5 months back, also in parkerized and am quite pleased with my purchase.

danriverboy, I'm curious. Why install a FLGR? I took the one out of my Kimber, replacing it with a standard guide rod and recoil spring. I've not had one stoppage with that pistol since the day it was new, regardless which GR was in use, and regardless of whether I was shooting JHP, LSWC, or hardball.
    i sold all my handguns. . . . . . . . . . except for the 1911 style pistols in .45 ACP.

Posts liked by others
    IMO there is NO reason to install a FLGR--I didn't state there was one. Over the past 20 or 30 years the touted benefits were a little more weight for recoil control, to keep the recoil spring from binding (DUHHH), etc., but no argument makes sense to me. Actually, I have removed them from any pistol that I bought that had one installed--a FLGR makes field stripping more difficult. Personally, I think that the "custom" gun makers (which I won't specifically name) made a lot of money by telling shooters that they needed them--more sales, more profit selling something which is NOT needed. Just like the Nitrogen that car dealers want to put in your tires these days for big $$$--regular air is 80% nitrogen. There may be some benefit in race cars, but not the family car.

That's my opinion. This topic as well as lubricants have caused the breakup and destruction of gun shooting families all over the nation because of strong opinions pro and con.
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (8th November 2019)

Posts liked by others
    danriverboy, my apology. i missed a few words when reading your reply on the sixth. My bad. I do appreciate your comments, and thank you for them.
    i sold all my handguns. . . . . . . . . . except for the 1911 style pistols in .45 ACP.

Posts liked by others
    MuyModesto: no problem. I will admit that many years ago I believed the hype that you had to have a FLGR to make your 1911 reliable. But that's nonsense as I came to find out. And I use Hoppes gun oil and Mobil 1 10W40. Ahhh, sacrilege for many. Have a good weekend.

Rob
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (10th November 2019)

Posts liked by others
    I installed the FLGR in all my 1911’s with the 18#. It’s less over travel on the slide. Less recoil, faster cycle timing and very fast on target for a second follow up shot.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911crazy View Post
    I installed the FLGR in all my 1911’s with the 18#. It’s less over travel on the slide. Less recoil, faster cycle timing and very fast on target for a second follow up shot.
    There's nothing in an FLGR that will affect the length of your slide's travel. If the slide travel got reduced when you swapped in the FLGR and the new recoil spring, then the new spring is almost certainly too long, compressing into a solid tube and stopping the slide early. Which, if you don't do anything about it, will probably result in a bent or broken barrel bushing.

On another matter, IPSC competitors who are after really fast cycling slides and ultra-quick follow-up shots (e.g. anyone with an STI) typically use WEAKER recoil springs, not stronger ones -- AND they also use weak mainsprings (17lbs). Not my cup of tea, just FYI.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter