Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Para Ordnance build date

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Para Ordnance build date

OK, I picked up this mint "never fired" Para Ordnance 1911 .45 Limited double stack pistol. It's finished in polished steel. All parts attract a magnet. Not sure if it's stainless or not. Previous owners ex wife sold it to me for the price of the DEROS. She knows nothing about the firearm. Anyway, I can't seem to find any data concerning the serial or date of manufacture. The serial is as follows: P1081XX. If anyone can help on this I would be much obliged. I have not shot it yet but sooner than later is what I'm shoot'in for. Thanks. LS

Posts liked by others
    As MuyModesto said, you should drop this inquiry down to the ParaUSA subforum. Remington now owns Para and I don't if the serial numbers transferred when Remington took over. You might want to call 1-888-999-9386 (USA) or email them at contact@para-usa.com and see if they can help you. I've called Remington several times with questions about dates regarding older 700 bolt rifles, and they've been very helpful.
    Rob

Posts liked by others
    I tried the phone # to no avail. The pistol is stamped Made in Canada. Para moved to the U.S. in January 2009. So.. the build date is of course pre Jan. 09. That's good enough for me. I'm tired of chasing this. Thank you Danriverboy.

Posts liked by others
    I eventually contacted Para-USA thru an Email and they came back with the build date as 2002. It's all about the contact.

Posts liked by others
    ParaUSA has been out of business for some time now... which explains why they don't answer their e-mails. It's interesting someone picked up the phone, though.

If your gun is from 2002, it's a Para-Ordnance pistol, not a ParaUSA pistol.

Any chance the gun came with a factory box? The model number is usually stamped on it.

Attracting a magnet doesn't mean it's not stainless. Gun-grade stainless steel is magnetic, though some very early stainless pistols (not Para's) might have been different.

Does the slide have vertical slide serrations?
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Yes, this pistol is marked on the left slide as Para Ordnance. The R.H. slide is marked P14.45 Limited. The R.H. lower is marked Para-Ordnance Inc. Ft. Lauderdale FL. Made in Canada. No box with firearm. Slide serrations are all vertical. Build date is 2002. No month given. Phone calls were not successful. Email to Para USA was. Polished steel upper. Silver lower. Single action only. First fired on 7 Nov. '19. No issues whatsoever. Thanks everyone.

Posts liked by others
    Of course it has no issues, these guns are/were amazing... I have a P18.9 myself!

I have a long list of old Para catalogs, but unfortunately it only goes back to 2004... when they began selling the 'PXT' series of pistols (angled slide serrations, PXT extractor). So I found that the PXT version of your gun P14.45 Limited) had the designation 'SX1445SR', but I assumed yours would be different.

Then I thought... someone out there must be selling one of these, complete with box. So, I found this.

Assuming this looks like your gun model, your model designation is 'S1445SR', as shown below (top right):

PS1: While browsing my old files on all-things-Para, I also found a 2002 P-series manual, in .pdf format. Attaching files isn't possible here, but I figured that if I just Google its exact file name, someone out there must have a copy on-line. Sure enough, here it is. I think your gun is shown in page 2 (actual page 6).

PS2: The manual shows a plastic bushing wrench, used to help rotate the bushing, in a gun with a full-length recoil spring guide. In my experience, this plastic bushing wrench is about as useful as an ice box in the north pole. It will rotate the bushing, but if you're any less than 100% careful, it will launch the spring plug to the ceiling, the grass where you'll take 20 minutes to find it, in your forehead, or in your eye (listed best to worse). What I've found with my P18.9, is that the plastic base of one of my magazines is all I actually need, to press the plug inward (backwards, as installed in the gun), then rotate the bushing over it. I've never launched a spring plug this way. YMMV.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Last edited by Spyros; 12th November 2019 at 03:03.

Posts liked by others
    Spyros: It would appear that you have nailed it. The amount of data that you have located is much appreciated. I've never had any problems with disasssy. or reassy. of my 1911's. Safety glasses are always worn without exception. A few close calls years ago convinced me that safety or lack of, can be an eye opening experience. I don't own a bushing wrench since as you say they are unnecessary once the correct technique is understood. Thanks again. LS