Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Driving a nail in 40S&W: Conversion to 10MM

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Driving a nail in 40S&W: Conversion to 10MM

http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=6728 -- video review

STI was definitely thinking outside of the box when it created the Apeiro. So why discontinue it?

Because the owner is parting ways with 40S&W he decided to keep this one and have the chamber reamed to 10MM.

To reduce recoil and increase cycling speed, STI cut a large portion out of the top of the slide and mounted the front sight on the barrel, island cutout. This increased the barrel weight and decreased the weight of the slide. As a result, there is more weight retained at the end of the gun and less weight when the slide recoils to the rear. In the right hands this increases speed and tames the 40S&W and 10MM. This setup increased my ability to stay on target and is the fastest I have ever fired 10MM accurately.

The front sight is a fiber-optic unit, while the rear is a completely adjustable BoMar sight. STI didn’t neglect the look of this gun either, with Sabre serrations on the slide making for a positive grip when racking the slide and a two-tone look.
    DSC01812.jpg
    Last edited by Mr.Revolverguy; 3rd November 2019 at 08:25.

Posts liked by others
    I'm confused.

The way this post (which appears to be a reproduction of the article in the link) is written, it appears that the owner of STI has decided not to make any more guns in .40 S&W and therefore decided to convert the last remaining Apeiro pistol to 10mm. How did you get to test it?

The article (and your post) says that much of the top of the slide was removed, and that the front sight is mounted to the barrel. The photo doesn't show that -- are there other photos?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    No STI has discontinued this model as we all have maybe heard STI discontinued many of their product lines in favor of new.

The owner of this pistol is getting rid of his 40S&W collection, but instead of getting rid of this one he had it rechambered to 10MM.

DSC01814.jpg

Posts liked by others
    I remember seeing this in the 2011 SHOT show... fun fact: the other original maker of the '2011' platform is SVI/Infinity. STI's 'Apeiro' (pronounced 'AAH-pee-roh') is a Greek word that means... 'infinity'. A coincidence, I'm sure.

This gun is basically an STI Edge, with a Schuemann 'island' barrel, which Schuemann had already been selling for several years, and is still selling today. Back then, other '2011' pistol gunsmiths were making even more extreme versions of this idea (heavy barrel, lighter slide, for increased cyclic rates and less recoil/flip), with much bigger portions of the slide being cut off. Here's an example (made in Germany by HPS):

These STI guns also come with light (17lb) mainsprings, and IIRC STI's recommended recoil spring for a 5" pistol in .40S&W is 14lbs (or an equivalent RecoilMaster setup)... so those slides race backwards FAST. The idea is that they will then race forward just as fast (elastic collision? Hmm...), thus returning back to battery quicker, for faster follow-up shots. I'm not sure I fully agree with the concept, but it has a lot of fans in the 'racegun' world and I'm not going to argue against it.

HOWEVER, I'd wager that this concept may not be the best idea when converting a .40S&W pistol to 10mm. If it were my gun, it would get much heavier recoil AND main springs. Remember: most people who make 10mm guns, go for setups with heavier-than-normal slides, sometimes with 6" barrels. Not the other way 'round.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Last edited by Spyros; 11th November 2019 at 07:49.

Posts liked by others
    Yes it did get a heavier recoil spring and different guide rod as well as main spring which STI recommended.

Posts liked by others
    I forgot to add:

The original reason why Mr. Schuemann came up with the idea for these barrels, wasn't actually to lighten the slide... STI saw that possibility and jumped on the idea. Nope, the actual reason was to allow for something like this to be done:

...as seen here.

Your friend's gun looks like it isn't recoiling too heavily, though, so maybe it's best left alone!
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter