Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magazine will not FULLY insert....Normal?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Magazine will not FULLY insert....Normal?

Hi......I've got a 12yr old S&W 1911 JRD serial prefix. It's been shot quite a bit...inherited from my Dad.
    Came with 2 Wilson Combat mags that won't insert fully unless I depress the mag release. Hangs up on a tang/lip on the ?release pin? about halfway. I can light up inside mag well and see exactly what it's hitting. Is this by design or does it need the lip removed? It would be minimal material to get rid of but not sure what's going on here. I'd rather not mess with it if it's by design. TIA. SEMPER Fi

Posts liked by others
    IMO, From your description it's hard to determine the cause. Someone else may know exactly what you're describing. It's always helpful to actually see the pistol or at least pictures. Is the mag release original or has it been replaced? Do you have the original mags that came with the pistol and do they work ok? Regarding the "tang/lip on the ?release pin?" issue--the inner part of the mag release inside the mag well has a "ledge" that holds the magazine in place. I would be reluctant to alter it unless you really know what you're doing. Lastly, do you know anybody who shoots 1911s who might help or can you visit a gun shop (??in Massachusetts)?

Posts liked by others
    danriverboy.....thanks for the reply.
    I'll take a pic or 10 and show you what's up. Hope to hear back from you......I'll get this done in the next hour or two.
    I'm almost 100% positive this is wrong. But just can't figure out why the last guy that shot this gun (alot) could've lefthe it as it is. Idk. Gonna try my best to show you......ty again.

Posts liked by others
    Insertion is easier when the slide is back?

Head over to Smith and Alexander and spend a buck and a fifty cents for a light mag release spring.
    http://www.smithandalexander.com/spr-housing.html
    or just let the current spring wear in. Wear in can take a while. I have an 9 year old Ed Brown that is still stubborn.
    I just slam the mags in and live with the blodd blisters.

Posts liked by others
    Lol!!! I just took a really close look at it all and yes, it's a new pin that works fine....if I slam it in it goes. It'll wear in properly I'm sure. Ty

Posts liked by others
    Yes, 1911 mags are single column and are straight walled and don't taper at the top like double column mags. They tend to hit the magazine catch.

Most of the semi-custom 1911's have generous bevel on their mag catch and cause less of an issue.

CheckMate and Wilson ETM (only the ETM mags in the Wilson line-up have this feature, it's not on the 47 series mags ) mags have a dimple at the top of their mags on the right side that help clear the mag catch.

You don't have to pound your mags in to clear the mag catch, but running them up with some momentum (and a full mag) will make it easier.
    Last edited by JTQ; 2nd November 2019 at 20:57.

Posts liked by others
    Magazines should not be that hard to insert. The bottom of the magazine catch is ramped to allow the magazine tube to push it aside as the magazine is inserted.

One problem with some guns is that the mag catch sits too far towards the left within the magazine well. This is often evident in that the mag catch does not sit flush with the right side of the frame, but is noticeably recessed. When the magazine is inserted, the top edge of the magazine tube misses the ramp and stops on the adjacent horizontal surface just to the right of the ramp. Only the ramped portion of the mag catch should extend into the mag well. This condition may eventually wear in, forming a new bottom corner of the ramp. Or the top edge of the magazine tube may cut a notch in the mag catch and never improve.

I like to chamfer and smooth the top edge of the magazine tube where it contacts the mag catch. The sharp edge of the very hard magazine tube doesn't help things.

-

Posts liked by others
    If a magazine hangs up on the magazine catch when inserting the magazine, pushing harder or slamming it in is NOT the solution. That will result in damaging the magazines. The solution is to file the magazine catch to reduce or remove the protuberance that's blocking the magazines, or just replace it.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    If possible, borrow another 1911 magazine and see if it has the same problem. If it does, the problem is the shape of the mag release (the bevel on the underside isn't deep enough) if not...

Some aftermarket magazines have the mag catch notch placed a bit higher than normal, "to improve reliability". A decent idea, except some 1911 makers and/or sellers of 1911 parts, offer magazine releases that also place the mag a bit higher, "to improve reliability"... and if you have a gun with both, you could run into some problems, especially with sub-caliber pistols, that have uber-extended ejectors.

But I digress. This sounds like a mag catch problem. If you take a file to it, be sure not to make the catch narrower, you just want to make the underside bevel start from a bit further out — to the right, as the part is placed in the pistol.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Great info......ty. All this makes sense and am pretty sure the mag catch needs a bit of work/filing.....which I will do VERY CAREFULLY. TY!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast