Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Guidance for a new Mil-Spec Owner

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Guidance for a new Mil-Spec Owner

Hey yall. I am not new to 1911s, but haven't had one in quite awhile. I decided to purchase one of the Mil-Spec Defender Series for around $500. I have always preferred the look of the USGI 1911. I am not planning on turning this into a custom piece, but was thinking of several upgrades. I first plan to shoot the snot out of the weapon and then make a decision on how I want it modified to my tastes.

My first thought was to purchase one of the Harrison Designs retro GI dovetail rear sights and send the slide to Novak for their front dovetail and to possibly have a fiber optic sight installed. Next, a better trigger, perhaps a CMC or Wilson solid serrated type. I would like to stay with the standard grip safety, unless I can find a type that is similar in look to the GI version, but more comfortable to handle/shoot.

I plan to conduct a full review of the handgun to include pictures, bench/off hand groups from 7-25 yards, etc.

Overall, I want to keep the GI/retro look and feel overall, but improve handling and shootability where possible. Any input/recommendations would be greatly appreciated, along with the opinions of other Mil-Spec owners!
    Last edited by Georgian87; 30th October 2019 at 09:31.

Posts liked by others
    Hello,

You're starting the right way, i.e. by planning to shoot the pistol a lot, before deciding what to change on it.

Beyond that, I like the looks of Harrison's rear sight, though for a retro look, it's not strictly necessary. He has some nice triggers too, by the way.

I'm also a fan of fiber optic front sights, and contrary to some information out there, even if the gun bumps something and the fiber breaks... you still have an iron sight out there, complete with a handy hole. The gun still runs.

Oddly, there aren't any choices out there for a good quality GI-style grip safety, unless you go with some real pricey retro stuff from Cylinder and Slide.

All-in-all, in most cases if you shoot it long enough, the list of things you'll want to change on it, will get smaller.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (4th March 2020)

Posts liked by others
    My primary reason for wanting to update the trigger is because the factory trigger on my model has a plastic shoe......I do not know anything about the durability of plastic triggers in a 1911 style gun. They work in polymer striker fired guns, and it seems like the plastic trigger shoe would not have much stress imparted to it, but I just don't know. What is the consensus on plastic 1911 triggers?

Posts liked by others
    Others may tell you different, but I don't mind them, as long as they're otherwise fit properly. The bit of the trigger that gets any meaningful stress is the bow, not the plastic shoe -- and the bow is always steel. Now, if you asked me what trigger I'd pick for a dream gun... it would have to have a metal shoe. Without grooves, by the way.

Note, however, that a factory (i.e. slightly loose) aluminum trigger can make an audible noise, as it moves up and down or left and right, while a plastic/nylon one doesn't. Just a thought.

I also like plastic mainspring housings, so maybe wait for someone else to chime in...
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    What about a skelontized hammer and possibly new grips (if you have larger sized hands) ?

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Georgian87 View Post
    What is the consensus on plastic 1911 triggers?
    My Colt M1991A1 Compact has a plastic trigger shoe. It's 30+ years old and going strong.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (2) :
    Gruntshooter (10th November 2019), MuyModesto (2nd November 2019)

Posts liked by others
    The best thing I did to my GI 1911 was to put a Wilson Combat flat trigger in it. My two grandsons don't like it because they get hammer bit. I never have been bit. I guess I don't hold it too high. They grew up in plastic guns.
    Ron