Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Ultrasonic cleaner

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Ultrasonic cleaner

Hi I am new this might have been talked about before has anyone used a ultrasonic cleaner on the body of your BHP ? I was going to remove the grips and put gun with out slide or barrel into the ultrasonic cleaner. Would that be ok or not ? If so any ideas on a type of cleaner ? Thanks Jim

Posts liked by others
    I would take everything apart before putting the pieces into the cleaner. The Lyman Turbo Sonic cleaning fluid works good for me. Make sure to use the plastic basket and not to let any metal parts touch another. Another thing to try is to put hot solution in the unit that was it does not take so long to heat up.

Posts liked by others
    I'll emphasize not letting metal parts touch as Dave W. stated. I quickly wore a big area of Birdsong Black T finish off a Springfield slide because I got careless and in a hurry.

Posts liked by others
    Some folks say that you can put guns into an ultrasonic without taking them apart, but like Dave W. said, I take mine apart, too - I'd include the barrel and slide into the ultrasonic, too. Lyman also makes an excellent lubrication product that I use on all my guns - after processing in the ultrasonic with the lube, I hand up the larger pieces to "drip dry" - the product ends up being dry to the touch, and it does a great job - I have a couple of old guns that I bead blasted, down to the bare metal - they have been that way for a few years now and there's no sign of rust at all.