Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Happy Fathers Day

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Powder

What is the most preferred powder for 45 acp 200 gr swc

Posts liked by others
    I like Winchester 231/Hodgdon HP-38 (they are the same). I use it for all .45 ACP loads.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    PW01 (29th June 2020)

Posts liked by others
    I’ve loaded lots of Bullseye and then tons of W-231, both very good powders that will serve you well. A couple years ago I switched to Vihtavuori N-310 for my .45’s. Burns very clean and meters better than any powder that I have ever used. It costs a little bit more but not too much and takes less N-310 than 231 for a comparable load.

Lots of good .45 powders, experiment a little and you will find one that you like.

Good luck.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member, GOA Member, MGO Member
    Likes (1) :
    DocWyatt (20th October 2019)

Posts liked by others
    For 200gr LSWC slugs used for pracitce in paper targets I use 5.2 gr of W231. It meters excellently. Literally I have not had to adjust the setting on my powder measure in over a year. Before switching to 231 I was using Bullseye. It meters about as well as W231, but leaves the gun extra filthy.
    i sold all my handguns. . . . . . . . . . except for the 1911 style pistols in .45 ACP.

Posts liked by others
    Preferred power, what ever I have on hand, currently Lovex D032. I do not find 45's to be fussy about powder. Over the years, some of the powders, I have used are; Accurate #2, Titegroup, Winchester 231, Red Dot, Clays, Bullseye & Unique.

Posts liked by others
    I use 4.9 grains of WST behind 200 gr SWC for IDPA use.

Posts liked by others
    Titegroup for me on all my pistol loads. Love it, meters very well and clean with powder coated stuff too
    True gun controll means two hands!

Posts liked by others
    My favourite powder has always been Vihtavuori, but it's so expensive.
    Originality can't be restored and a good piece of free advice is to put "originality" at the top of a priority list. I've never seen a 1911 I didn't like.

Posts liked by others
    I have used Winchester 231, and as Hawkmoon says, it works well and meters well. I have also used Accurate Arms No. 5. Currently I am using CFEPistol. It is an economical powder, and meters very well also.

Wade

Posts liked by others
    Bullseye and Unique. Prefer the Bullseye and just trying to use up some extra of the other.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast