Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Sears Roebuck, J. C. Higgins and Ted Williams Rifles

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Sears Roebuck, J. C. Higgins and Ted Williams Rifles

Back in December, 2018, I reported on a newly acquired 1962 Remington Model 700 BDL in 30.06. I recently found 2 other really nice rifles that are in excellent, almost unused condition. Both of these rifles in .270 caliber came out of Sears & Roebuck. One is a J. C. Higgins Model 50 based on an FN 98 Mauser action, a Hi Standard chrome lined 22” barrel, and a plain walnut stock. I think that this is a circa 1950 release. The second .270 is a Ted Williams Model 53 based on a Winchester Model 70. It has a nice walnut stock with stamped embossing and a 22” barrel. I think that it is circa 1970. The problem with trying to date these firearms is that no Sears database for serial numbers exists or at least can be found on the internet.

Using Warne mounts and rings and Leupold scopes, both of these rifles are excellent out to at least 200 yards. They’ll bang an 8” steel plate all day at that distance. At my age and with my eye sight and reflexes, that’s all I need.

If you ever see one of these rifles for sale, or any other Sears firearms, you should look at it closely. Sears used some of the best gun makers to produce their own J. C. Higgins and Ted Williams lines of firearms. Also, I believe that other department and even older auto parts stores had lines of firearms that might be worth looking at if you ever come across one.

20191011_153039.1.jpg20191011_153135.1.jpg
    Likes (1) :
    ChippewaAce (12th April 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Thank you for posting this. I have no experience with bolt action rifles aside from a Western Auto 22. Earlier this week, several other botl actions, including a a Sears, were advertized on a flyer out at my range. I will go look at that flyer again and see if the Sears wants to come live at my house.
    Last edited by Pyrenean; 12th October 2019 at 08:28.

Posts liked by others
    I remember it was shortly after Ted Williams retired from his long career with the Boston Red Sox that his name was licensed for use on firearms, and I think other sporting goods as well. I was a child at the time but do recall reading it. Williams retired after the 1960 season so goods bearing his name would probably be from 1960 / 1961 or later.
    i sold all my handguns. . . . . . . . . . except for the 1911 style pistols in .45 ACP.

Posts liked by others
    Pyrenean: I'd suggest a google search--there is a website that lists which company made certain Sears firearms. I am very happy with the two rifles that I recently found. Sears over the years produced shotguns (Browning), lever action 30-30's (Winchester 1894) etc. Western Auto sold other rifles--I remember them in the early 60's.

MuyModesto: I have other Ted Williams products, including a really excellent rod and reel. I guess a person could argue that newer products might be "better", but I like "old school."
    Likes (3) :
    DocWyatt (17th October 2019), MuyModesto (13th October 2019), Rick McC. (31st October 2019)