Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where is everybody?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyros View Post
    In a nutshell, FB isn't too happy when people leave, so they were flooded with e-mails about rejoining.
    You are correct. When my wife decided that Facebook was not for her, they in fact flooded her with assorted messages trying to coerce her to come back. That was two or three years ago. They seem to have given up.
    Likes (1) :
    RemingtonMike (2nd December 2019)

Posts liked by others
    I am on a few gun forums and it seems that traffic always goes down a little in the summertime when people are extra busy but then starts to pick up a little about this time of year.

As for Facebook, I am on it but have it set up so that I am invisible. I only follow some gun related pages (Wilson, Sparks, etc). Have no desire to use it as a social friends account.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member, GOA Member, MGO Member
    Likes (1) :

Posts liked by others
    I had a similar experience way back when I used Facebook: I found some long-lost friends... then after some chit-chat, I remembered why I had stopped hanging out with them to begin with.

Sure, there are many such pages on FB, and I spent some time there, too. The problem I eventually found with them is that since FB is about a lot more than just gunz, people who post in these groups are often 'incidental' gun fans... and there's nothing wrong with that, except they often don't realize that they've missed a discussion or two (or four hundred) about a given topic, and furiously disagree with everyone who doesn't agree with them that brand X is the greatest gun company since the invention of gun powder, while they're incensed that others don't regard brand Y as the most useless and/or evil thing, since the discovery of marketing.

All this is because, unlike forums, facebook doesn't offer any sort of archiving, for past discussions (AFAIK). So a gun group of 300 members has to repeat and repeat explanations of the simplest things, ad infinitum... or have links to other pages that explain the topic--most likely forums! But since many of these people are incidental gun fans, they're too bored or too quickly distracted to hit a link to a discussion, that disproves their arguments, point-by-point.

So after I while I just got tired arguing with people who thought me an idiot for not knowing that all Colts are now made in China, or who regard Sig's 1911 magazines to be superior in every way to Colt's magazines, who think that malfunction is due to their ammo being two years old, or in one case a gent who took personal offense when I repeated the following 1911 joke: "The three most likely causes of malfunctions in a 1911, in order, are: poor magazines, poorly-tensioned extractors and ownership of a Dremel". I'll leave it to you to guess why this was a problem.

All that, plus some toxic politics, including some not too subtle examples of others (like FB themselves) trying to force down your throat what is and isn't toxic (which is far more serious than all of the above) meant that I'm now done with Facebook. I'm just glad I NEVER installed the FB app on my phone, because I hear all sorts of weird stories from those who had, and removed it.
    I largely agree.
    The main thing that I dislike about gun pages on FB is that more often than not you find posts from people asking about the value of their heirlooms, and that is pretty upsetting to me.
    Originality can't be restored, so put "originality" at the top of a priority list. If JMB didn't put it on the 1911 you don't need it.
    Likes (1) :
    Spyros (30th October 2019)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergio Natali View Post
    I largely agree.
    The main thing that I dislike about gun pages on FB is that more often than not you find posts from people asking about the value of their heirlooms, and that is pretty upsetting to me.
    ...especially this time of the year, i.e. when the latest iPhone hits the shelves... (sigh)
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Likes (1) :

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergio Natali View Post
    I largely agree.
    I agree, I only go to the company’s pages and not to the discussion groups.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member, GOA Member, MGO Member
    Likes (1) :

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    So it's like the Hotel California -- you can check out, but you can never leave.

Thanks, but no thanks.
    Yep. Never had any interest in FB, and never will.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Likes (2) :
    RemingtonMike (2nd December 2019), rodinal220 (25th August 2022)

Posts liked by others
    In a nutshell, FB isn't too happy when people leave, so they were flooded with e-mails about rejoining.
    I guess I was lucky because when I deleted my Facebook account last year I never received any emails from them asking me to reconsider to rejoin. Maybe it was because I hardly ever looked at it and never really learned how to navigate in it. Don't miss it.
    NRA Life Member
    Shoot Safely, Shoot Often, & Share Your Sport - Shooting USA
    Likes (2) :
    Mosseybuck (31st March 2021), RemingtonMike (2nd December 2019)

Posts liked by others
    Hi DocWyatt and everyone. I guess you might consider me a new member.
    I've been a member of the 1911 forum for several years, but only check it once or twice a year and never posted anything before.
    To follow up previous comments regarding facebook; it sure is a handy forum and easy to communicate, BUT, I'm increasingly concerned that fb, google, and Youtube are owned by one company and the owner is a flaming liberal, also somehow the employees seem to lean that way and they absolutely try to force everyone to think as they do, including withholding privileges to anyone who does not agree with their liberal anti-gun, pro-abortion, big government views. It's downright frightening.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by RemingtonMike View Post
    To follow up previous comments regarding facebook; it sure is a handy forum and easy to communicate, BUT, I'm increasingly concerned that fb, google, and Youtube are owned by one company and the owner is a flaming liberal, also somehow the employees seem to lean that way and they absolutely try to force everyone to think as they do, including withholding privileges to anyone who does not agree with their liberal anti-gun, pro-abortion, big government views. It's downright frightening.
    This is why some people (such as me) refuse to take out a Facebook account. Both Facebook and Google collect far too much information about users, and the users have zero control over how and where that information gets used -- or sold.

Unfortunately, much of the world doesn't agree. For example, I'm a somewhat active member of my state's pro-gun, pro Second Amendment grass roots organization. The organization has a Facebook account and a web site. The web site is always at least a month, usually two or three months, out of date. When I complain, the answer is always, "The current information is on Facebook."

Great -- you're on Facebook, but I'm not.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (2) :
    Rick McC. (4th December 2019), rodinal220 (25th August 2022)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    How so, Nick???
    By supporting left wing politicians. Are you wanting me to explain for those that don't actually know? I know this was a while ago. Although recently in the news I was surprised at a statement from the company in response to a demand that political opposition information be removed. Of course I think they still shadow ban posters. This photo-op picture says it all. They thought it is great. A VR simulation, but it does represent what the left wants regarding information.

This is the world the left wants.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123