Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where is everybody?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    I believe it is several things. 4 years back people were concerned about the election and participation boomed, now firearms stuff is ebbing a little. As Facebook "Groups" became popular a lot of dedicated discussion board chatter migrated there.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    Facebook.
    Even though their goal is to disarm you?
    Likes (1) :
    RemingtonMike (2nd December 2019)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
    How so, Nick???
    Johnny

I miss America
    Sent from my keyboard using hunt-n-peck...
    SCIENTIA SIT POTENTIA

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon
    Facebook
    I didn't say I use Facebook. I refuse to have a Facebook account -- for several reasons, and that's one of them (but not the primary one).
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Same here. I don’t “do” facebook.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    I didn't say I use Facebook. I refuse to have a Facebook account -- for several reasons, and that's one of them (but not the primary one).
    I thought exactly the same several years ago, until one day I opened a FB page, then I found several old school-mates and colleagues that I had lost track of, and now we are still in touch only through Facebook but I think it's quite nice.
    Now I go on Facebook practically every day, only on my pc though, not on my phone, as I'm still one of the few that use the cellphone only as a telephone and nothing else.
    On FB I've found several pages where one can debate also about guns, that all in all are quite interesting and not that dissimilar to a forum. IMHO
    Originality can't be restored, so put "originality" at the top of a priority list. If JMB didn't put it on the 1911 you don't need it.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergio Natali View Post
    I thought exactly the same several years ago, until one day I opened a FB page, then I found several old school-mates and colleagues that I had lost track of, and now we are still in touch only through Facebook but I think it's quite nice.
    I had a similar experience way back when I used Facebook: I found some long-lost friends... then after some chit-chat, I remembered why I had stopped hanging out with them to begin with.

On FB I've found several pages where one can debate also about guns, that all in all are quite interesting and not that dissimilar to a forum. IMHO
    Sure, there are many such pages on FB, and I spent some time there, too. The problem I eventually found with them is that since FB is about a lot more than just gunz, people who post in these groups are often 'incidental' gun fans... and there's nothing wrong with that, except they often don't realize that they've missed a discussion or two (or four hundred) about a given topic, and furiously disagree with everyone who doesn't agree with them that brand X is the greatest gun company since the invention of gun powder, while they're incensed that others don't regard brand Y as the most useless and/or evil thing, since the discovery of marketing.

All this is because, unlike forums, facebook doesn't offer any sort of archiving, for past discussions (AFAIK). So a gun group of 300 members has to repeat and repeat explanations of the simplest things, ad infinitum... or have links to other pages that explain the topic--most likely forums! But since many of these people are incidental gun fans, they're too bored or too quickly distracted to hit a link to a discussion, that disproves their arguments, point-by-point.

So after I while I just got tired arguing with people who thought me an idiot for not knowing that all Colts are now made in China, or who regard Sig's 1911 magazines to be superior in every way to Colt's magazines, who think that malfunction is due to their ammo being two years old, or in one case a gent who took personal offense when I repeated the following 1911 joke: "The three most likely causes of malfunctions in a 1911, in order, are: poor magazines, poorly-tensioned extractors and ownership of a Dremel". I'll leave it to you to guess why this was a problem.

All that, plus some toxic politics, including some not too subtle examples of others (like FB themselves) trying to force down your throat what is and isn't toxic (which is far more serious than all of the above) meant that I'm now done with Facebook. I'm just glad I NEVER installed the FB app on my phone, because I hear all sorts of weird stories from those who had, and removed it.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Likes (2) :
    Mark75H (29th October 2019), Sergio Natali (30th October 2019)

Last edited by Spyros; 30th October 2019 at 02:36.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyros View Post
    because I hear all sorts of weird stories from those who had, and removed it.
    I just joined up. Care to elaborate on those 'weird storys' Spyros? Thank you.
    Johnny

I miss America
    Sent from my keyboard using hunt-n-peck...
    SCIENTIA SIT POTENTIA

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    I just joined up. Care to elaborate on those 'weird storys' Spyros? Thank you.
    In a nutshell, FB isn't too happy when people leave, so they were flooded with e-mails about rejoining.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    So it's like the Hotel California -- you can check out, but you can never leave.

Thanks, but no thanks.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast