Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Para Carry cracked slide

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Para Carry cracked slide

I have been just lovin this little guy!
    Put about 500+ rounds down range in the 5 months I have owned it.
    Went to clean it and found a crack in the slide.
    I have been shooting reloads. Only shot about 12 rounds of sd ammo when I first got it to test function & POA.
    Is this unusual?
    Suggestions? New slide or repair?
    para crack1.jpgparacrack2.jpg

Posts liked by others
    It can be repaired. Clark and Hoag made many long slides by cutting and welding 1911 slides before manufacturers caught on. On the other hand, Sarco has Para Carry slides; that might be a less expensive option.
    I'm retired. That's right, retired. I don't want to hear about the cop who stopped you today or how you didn't think you should get a ticket. That just makes me grumpy!

Posts liked by others
    Very unusual. I have far more rounds than that through my Slim Hawg (same slide) and no hint of problems.

You can buy a replacement slide from Sarco. https://www.sarcoinc.com/search.php?...ection=product
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Thanks Gents,
    I'm going slide shopping.
    Needed refinishing anyway.
    Norton

Posts liked by others
    Finally ordered a new slide from Sarco.
    I was surprised when the Sarco rep said that was not uncommon on the 3" barrels.
    Further stated that he has sold 3 maybe 4 that he recalls.
    So check your slides .

Posts liked by others
    When replacing the recoil spring with a fresh one, be sure to check that your slide has full rearward travel -- NOT just that it can lock back. That's the most common cause of broken slides, broken reverse plugs or (in longer guns) broken/bent barrel bushings.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Uh, should I be replacing the recoil spring?
    Never gave it a thought.

Posts liked by others
    Yes. Shorter 1911s do need more frequent replacement of recoil springs than the bigger boys.

I don't own a compact Para, so it's best to take the advice of someone who does... but I understand that these guns have an unusual recoil setup, with a set of telescoping dual springs. I'm not aware if this device can be checked and corrected for spring bind like other guns, or if this kind of check is required at all, come to think of it. But if you have such a proprietary recoil spring setup, check Sarco to see if they have some replacements. If they don't, Numrich might.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the suggestion. I had ordered replacement springs when I purchased this. There is a inner & outer spring. One thing
    I didn't consider was how to get to the inner spring. My thought was just to buy a complete assembly but it appears they are not available.
    The outer one is a simple replacement.
    Appreciate your input.

Posts liked by others
    Glad you were able to replace the slide.

Back in the Canadian days, I had a 12.45 (3.5" barrel) where this happened:

Busted pieces went about 10 feet downrange, no drama, no injuries. Para Customer Service, then under George Wedge, had the fully repaired pistol back to me about a week after I sent it in.

I still have a 6.45 and a Para Carry that Travis Tomasie helped expedite replacing some needed parts. I like those little 45s and my pre-Remington Customer Service experience was great. Miss those days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast