Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: RIA 1911 9mm extractor issues?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

RIA 1911 9mm extractor issues?

I'm having FTE (extract) problems with my RIA 1911 9mm - similar extraction issues with a Norinco 1911 9mm, and a Para 18.9 - my Colt 1911 9mm seems to run fine. I'm wondering if there are, generally speaking, any extractor issues I should examine specific to the 1911 platform in 9mm - ? I've read about problems with the Para 1911 power extractor, but the RIA and Norinco don't use a power extractor. I like the 9mm round in a 1911 (cheaper ammo, etc.), but I'm wondering if maybe I 'd be a lot happier sticking with the rounds that the gun was designed for - 1911 => .45, AR-15 => 5.56, etc. - it's time to thin my herd anyway - maybe get back to the basics, instead of the "gee, that'd be interesting" stuff.
    Last edited by texas yankee; 3rd October 2019 at 09:48.

Posts liked by others
    OEM extractors are often substandard given that many manufacturers outsource extractors to the lowest bidder. I would not hesitate to replace an OEM extractor with an EGW, Harrison, or Wilson. I'm sure you already know that new extractors need to be fit carefully and correctly. You may also want to replace the firing pin stop at the same time to be sure you eliminate any possible extractor clocking.

Posts liked by others
    I replaced mine with --" AFTEC-EXTRACTOR " from BenStoegerProShop.com . Do not have to do any fitting , a slick set-up and have a least 1000 of rounds on it with no problem

Posts liked by others
    Thanks - never saw the Aftec extraxtor - I'm gonna try a bit of tuning first, but the Aftec look like the way to go if my efforts are unsuccessful!

Posts liked by others
    I can't help with the RIA, but my P18.9 also had some issues with its PXT extractor -- it worked, but needed a strong hold and the extractor required frequent cleaning.

I've since replaced it with the newer Para 'HD' extractor. No further problems, and the gun couldn't care less if I use a death grip or barely hold the gun with three fingers (hard to do on a heavy gun...).

The Para company is gone, but the HD extractor is made by EGW and is still available.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Had extraction problems with my RIA 9mm. Replaced the factory extractor with an Ed Brown and the problem went away. Shortly, I'll be fitting a 38 Super barrel to the RIA to have dual caliber capability.
    Vietnam Vet June 66 - Dec 67
    Last edited by GaCop; 20th November 2019 at 06:52.

Posts liked by others
    My hi-cap multi-caliber RIA has never had an FTE to date, and I shot the snot out of it last year during a four month long testing and evaluation for the review I wrote on the gun last year. No cleaning was done to the pistol during the entire time.

After the T&E was done, I decided to send RIA a check, as that gun was definitely one to hold on to. It’ll run, and run, and run...

I also have a single stack 1911 in 9mm that’s been trouble free. It’s a Wilson Professional that was made back in ‘05.

I don’t think that you need to thin your herd of all 9mm 1911’s. These days, most 1911 manufacturers are making 9mm models, and they run fine.

I’d recommend that you check your extractor tension first, and your 9mm mags second. It’s been my experience that nine round 9mm mags are the most trouble free. Ten rounders will work, but often need the mag springs to take their set before the first round will feed reliably.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Last edited by Rick McC.; 20th November 2019 at 19:59.

Posts liked by others
    Had extraction issues witrh my Rock Island 9mm and replaced the factory extractor with an Ed Brown enhanced one from Brownell's. Problems went away. Added a 38 Super barrel to my 9mm and the gun functions beautifully with the new extractor.
    Vietnam Vet June 66 - Dec 67