Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tight barrel bushing

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Tight barrel bushing

So I got the AO back from Kahr and One thing from that visit (which was to replace the sites and plunger tube assembly) was the discovery that the barrel bushing was cracked and replaced.

I took the gun to my local range to check it out and it’s running really well but when I took it home to strip and clean it, I’ll be darned if the bushing is so dang tight that my wrench won’t even hardly turn it. Some folks advocate to just shoot the snot out of it and maybe after 500-1000 rounds it’ll loosen up enough to clean. Others I’ve read say hose it down with CLP and let it drain and just wipe it off and take it out again.

Any other comments or suggestions would be appreciated. I’m kind of liking the shoot the snot out of it. What have been your experience. Suggestions and guidance are most appreciated!

Posts liked by others
    Ordinarily a tight barrel bushing to slide fit is considered desirable. Sounds like yours is a keeper. Some of mine have to be "hammered" out with the barrel. +1 for snot shooting.

Posts liked by others
    Yeah I remember my Springfield full size 1911 and the bushing was tight but would at least move with a wrench. This one is off the chart tight. Might have to go get a metal wrench. I’ve already got 200 rounds through it after the repair work. I’ll try again after 500. It’s really a pretty pistol and was either well taken care of or barely used. They charged me about $11 for the new sights, new bushing, and plunger tube assembly. Kahr CS was A+.
    Last edited by AustinWiseguy; 26th September 2019 at 15:01. Reason: Clarity, spelling

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrenean View Post
    Ordinarily a tight barrel bushing to slide fit is considered desirable. Sounds like yours is a keeper. Some of mine have to be "hammered" out with the barrel. +1 for snot shooting.
    Not when it's so tight that a bushing wrench won't turn it. There is absolutely no need or reason for it to be that tight.

The barrel bushing doesn't move in the slide when shooting, so there is no reason to believe that shooting it will cause the bushing to loosen up. Personally, I'd get it out any way I could, then use some emery cloth to take it down enough for it to be a proper fit.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 8th November 2019 at 00:42. Reason: Typo

Posts liked by others

K, I’ll keep trying.

i might still need to buy a metallic wrench for it though. Right now it’s torquing it a bit out of shape.

Posts liked by others
    Put in the freezer or use dry ice. Wear gloves.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinWiseguy View Post
    i might still need to buy a metallic wrench for it though. Right now it’s torquing it a bit out of shape.
    You have one of those nylon bushing wrenches?

Throw it in the trash. They're useless.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (27th September 2019)

Posts liked by others
    Retract the slide a bit so the barrel is not tightening the fit.
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (8th November 2019)

Posts liked by others
    Definitely retracted the slide to get the pressure off the bushing. Haven't heard of putting it the freezer though!

Posts liked by others
    Maybe not so great service? My Kahr A/O Commander suffered from one problem after another. The front sight came loose several times even after repair by Kahr . The front bushing broke and my recoil spring plug was sent down range. The gun would not feed ammo more than one or two rounds. Kahr did not fix any of these problems. Private gunsmiths did and every time the gun went back to Kahr, I paid for the air freight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast