Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Springfield v-series questions

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Springfield v-series questions

I have a few Springfield v-series 1911s my question is we’re these standardized? I have 2 v16 and they have suttle changes. One has Ambi saftey one does not. I have a few v12 pistols. One has a streaked front site 2 have press on. Frame I’d thicker on one. Finish is also different one it a bead blast finish. The other is some sort of coating. 392495 is the lowest serial on the v12 and 447311 on the v16. Always have collected these and trying to figure out some info thanks for the help.image.jpgimage.jpg

Posts liked by others
    I don't have a proper answer for you, but in general, all of SA's models went through little development steps along the way. The frame thickness you mention (dustcover area, in front of the trigger and also in the shape of the frontstrap) changed around 2002-2003, although the precise time varied in different models. Hammers, safeties and sights went through some minor changes, too. I would expect the gun that has the staked-in front sight to also have the squared frame. I think SA moved to dovetailed front sights at some point, in all models except the Classic (and the GI, while it was on offer). These guns were basically a sub-variant of the 'Loaded' series of pistols, which IIRC sometimes had ambi thumb safeties, sometimes they didn't.

Of course people change parts on their guns all the time, and I'm not familiar enough with SA pistols to tell you which part is aftermarket and which isn't... although I'd hazard a guess that the big-button magazine release I see in your first photo isn't original.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter