Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Need help with caliber choices

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Need help with caliber choices

I am extremely close to pulling the trigger on my first RI. The model in particular that i am the most interested in is the TCM TAC Ultra FS HC Combo 9/22tcm. At the time of purchase i will also order a barrel and mag for 38 super. What caliber would you guys choose over 38 super and why.

Posts liked by others
    What you're talking about is one pistol that will handle three "calibers" (of course, 9mm and .38 Super are the same caliber, but we know what you meant). IMHO you can't do much better than that. I think .38 Super is a fantastic cartridge for both practical shooting competition and for self defense. If you don't reload, .38 Super ammunition isn't as easy to find as 9mm and it's more expensive, but it's a great cartridge. And for economical blasting, you'll have the 9mm option.

There's no other mainstream cartridge you could choose for that pistol that wouldn't involve a new slide as well as a different barrel. .40 S&W and 10mm both have a larger rim diameter than 9mm and even .38 Super, and (of course) .45 ACP cases have an even larger rim diameter.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Although I have heard many people say that one of their barrels always just lives in the safe, I like the idea. I tried to order a .38 Super barrel when I got my first 9mm 1911 but at the time a .38 Super barrel was not an option. Wilson now offers a Commander length .38 Super barrel and I need to just break down and get one.

think you will like it.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member, GOA Member, MGO Member

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by vam1230 View Post
    I am extremely close to pulling the trigger on my first RI. The model in particular that i am the most interested in is the TCM TAC Ultra FS HC Combo 9/22tcm. At the time of purchase i will also order a barrel and mag for 38 super. What caliber would you guys choose over 38 super and why.
    Excellent choice! I’d go with your original plan.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Posts liked by others
    Most depends on whether you reload or not, in case you do I would opt for the 9mm over the 38 Super.
    Originality can't be restored, so put "originality" at the top of a priority list. If JMB didn't put it on the 1911 you don't need it.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergio Natali View Post
    Most depends on whether you reload or not, in case you do I would opt for the 9mm over the 38 Super.
    I would make exactly the opposite choice.

9mm ammunition is widely available and is arguably the least expensive centerfire handgun ammunition on the market, simply because of economies of scale. So many people own 9mm handguns and buy so much ammunition, the ammo makers are geared up to produce it efficiently and economically in large quantities. If 9mm plinking ammo is purchased in bulk, it's so inexpensive that it's almost not worth the effort to reload.

Despite .38 Super being a more powerful cartridge, there isn't as much variety available in .38 Super and it's MUCH more expensive. Handloading almost completely removes that cost differential. The projectiles cost the same, the primers cost the same, and once you start reloading you have very little cost for cases. So the only real difference is that .38 Super takes a little more powder.That extra cost is minimal, almost to the point where it wouldn't even be noticed.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (22nd September 2019)

Last edited by Hawkmoon; 6th September 2019 at 15:16.

Posts liked by others
    I current reload 9mm and will also reload for the second barrel. I am also looking into 9x23 Win but barrels seem to be a lot more scarce than 38 super and pricey but on paper it looks pretty impressive.

Posts liked by others
    Be wary. I ordered a Rock Island 38 Super barrel to go into my 9mm/.22tcm fs combo. Barrel is ramped like the 9 and Tcm. Fit the slide perfectly.....BUT!!!!! the 38 Super case rim diameter is .400 and the 9MM/TCM is 388. 12 thousandths difference. The 38 Super won't fit the breech face. That leaves choices of filing the sides of the breech face which would make the 38 super fit, but might make the 9mm and Tcm not fit so well or..buying a new slide and barrel for the 38 super..or..just reloading and shooting 38 super comp which is pretty much rimless. I think I'll return my barrel and buy a slide with sights so I won't have to adjust sights each time I swap barrels.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhallford View Post
    ...the 38 Super case rim diameter is .400 and the 9MM/TCM is 388. 12 thousandths difference. The 38 Super won't fit the breech face. That leaves choices of filing the sides of the breech face which would make the 38 super fit, but might make the 9mm and Tcm not fit so well...
    I wouldn't worry about that.

Most makers' 1911s in 9mm actually have a .38 Super breechface. They run fine. And at least one 1911 maker goes even further. Believe it or not, the old Para-Ordnance/ParaUSA pistols in 9mm had 10mm/.40S&W breechfaces on their slides! I have one of those (P18.9) and yes, a .40S&W case will fit in the breechface. It's reliable and shoots pretty well!

However, filing the sides of an existing breechface to make .38 Super fit won't be easy. It's probably a job best left to a machinist. If the gun were mine, I'd call RIA and ask if they'd be willing to do it, they used to be up for gunsmithing work, but I'm not sure they still are.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    38 Super is a great choice and it's been my 'most of the time' carry for many years...living in a remote area near wilderness, it's a caliber that's been used against aggressive predators with DRT results.

FBI protocol ammunition for 9mm can be expensive. Fiocchi loads XTP bullets in 9mm, good quality and less expensive than Hornady. I like Double Tap ammuntion for 38Super and 10mm, work the 40% off and free shipping subscriber sales, the costs even out a bit for defensive carry hollow points.

I've used the below powders and others for handloading the 38Super;

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor...38-super/99160

It's possible to perk up the 9mm a bit if handloading, VihtaVuori 3N38 will put 147gr bullets in the ~1100fps range. Hornday 147gr bullets are boat tailed and their BC will shoot flatter than other designs of the same weight, by comparison, 38Super will send the same 147gr XTPs into the 1200s.

FWIW, I have 6 .38 Supers, three of which are Colts.
    NRA Life Member since '67

"Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake."
    Napoleon