Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Sig Sauer magazines = Ed Brown magazines?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Sig Sauer magazines = Ed Brown magazines?

Many months ago I tried the “Sig Sauer” brand of 8-round magazines. They are available in stainless steel only. When mine arrived I noticed the follower looked very much like it had been made by “Checkmate”. (More recently I discovered that “Ed Brown” brand magazines have the same follower as the "Sig Sauer" brand, with the same patent number.)
    Ed Brown magazine follower.jpg Ed Brown & Sig Sauer followers.jpg

I used the Sig Sauer magazines in my 1911s with flawless function on several range days. They are just a bit longer than standard magazines, which is probably why they will consistently seat in the magazine well when fully loaded and while the slides are closed.
    Sig Sauer mag in Commander.jpg Ed Brown mag in commander.jpg

The only thing I didn’t like was the stainless steel finish. Just a little bit of bright metal was visible between the bottom of my 1911s and the pad on the magazine’s bottom. My 1911s are all either blued, parkerized, or black-oxide finish, so the exposed stainless steel clashes. More importantly the stainless steel will reflect if a light is on it, potentially giving away my location when otherwise in the dark.

A few weeks ago I bought two “Ed Brown” magazines. These are stainless steel, with a black coating on the surface. The black finish seems extremely durable. My "Dremel" brand engraver, which works great on all my other magazines was barely adequate to engrave my name on the dark surface of the "Ed Brown" ones. Yesterday I tried these new “Ed Brown” mags at the range and was happy with the 100% function, as well as not having bright metal showing from the gun. I plan further testing with these magazines, in my other 1911s, and with various loads. If I become satisfied these mags will feed all the ammo I use from all of my 1911s I’ll certainly buy more.

Ed Brown & Sig Sauer left side.jpg
    i sold all my handguns. . . . . . . . . . except for the 1911 style pistols in .45 ACP.

Posts liked by others
    Check-Mate makes the OEM magazines for many 1911 manufacturers. Some will admit to it, others will not.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (3) :
    MuyModesto (31st August 2019), PolyKahr (20th February 2021), Rick McC. (14th September 2019)

Posts liked by others
    They are both CheckMate mags.

The only problem I've had with the black CheckMate's is they are a little thicker and very tight in a kydex pouch that fits stainless mags just right, and I don't find the black mags as slick as stainless mags, think follower moving within the tube.

If you like them, Ed Brown has a mag exchange program.

https://www.edbrown.com/magexchange/
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (6th September 2019)

Posts liked by others
    If you don't have to have SIGSauer or Ed Brown stamped on the mag, the CheckMate version (when in stock) is also available.

Top Gun Supply https://www.topgunsupply.com/check-m...-magazine.html

Thunder Mountain Custom https://shop.1911parts.com/Check-Mat...-8-b-h-ext.htm
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (6th September 2019)

Posts liked by others
    That patent number on the follower tells the tale...
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Posts liked by others
    When Sig Sauer started in the 1911 business, they made a lot of bold claims, about bringing 1911s to the 21st century, or moving away from century-old technology or other words to that effect...

So it would be a bit weird if they admitted to using mags made by the same people making Colt's mags, no?
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Likes (3) :
    MuyModesto (15th December 2019), PolyKahr (14th December 2020), Rick McC. (20th December 2019)

Posts liked by others
    Not really; the GSR was designed from its inception by Matt McLearn to use the highest quality components; initially they were comprsed of some of the best possible. Initially SIG used the Novak/ACT magazines, but when feed lip cracks became a systemic issue with them, they switched to Check-Mate 8 round hybrid feedlip extended tube with skirted and dimpled followers, with which they've remained for some 15+ years.

Best, Jon

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by JonCombatCdrGSR View Post
    ...they switched to Check-Mate 8 round hybrid feedlip extended tube with skirted and dimpled followers, with which they've remained for some 15+ years.

Best, Jon
    I would not have guessed either CheckMate's hybrid feed lips (understanding hybrid lips have been around since at least the 1980's, but not with a CheckMate stamp on them), or their extended tube 8 rounders have been in production for 15 years.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks JTQ. I checked on Thunder Mountain's website and found the Checkmate cm45-8-b-h-ext was in inventory so I ordered two. They arrived yesterday, well cushioned within a sturdy shipping box. I compared those mags to the "Ed Brown" branded ones I had bought from Brownell's. I didn't see any significant differences.
    i sold all my handguns. . . . . . . . . . except for the 1911 style pistols in .45 ACP.

Posts liked by others
    Glad I could help.