Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Some more facts about Norinco 1911's and Canadian law regarding pistols

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Some more facts about Norinco 1911's and Canadian law regarding pistols

When I lived in Alaska and flew my own plane all over, I occasionally would go into Canada to visit Dawson City. Before doing so I had to check in with a US Flight Svc Station and declare my intention to fly into Canada. At a Canadian port of entry, I would invariably be asked if I had any weapons on board. If I showed them a pistol (any type), it would immediately be taken and the only way I could get it back was to have it sent to the Sheriff's office in my city of residence in the U.S. They have no hesitation to take your handguns as they don't even allow their own residents to have them without a permit. So, the procedure I followed was to leave my pistol(s) with the US Flight Service Station attendant on the US side of the border, travel within Canada, and return to the same US port I left my pistol(s) at and recover them. Canada also requires that pilots file a flight plan whenever you fly in Canadian airspace so they always know where you are. US does not have a flight plan requirement but it surely is recommended.

One time when I was helping a friend bring a yacht up the coast from California to Washington State, we stopped first in Victoria Canada to meet up with some friends that had driven up from Seattle. Big mistake, as Canadian authorities require you get an inspection (the entire boat) as part of Customs Check-in. I had brought a 1911 pistol with me and, of course, they confiscated it. To get it back I had to arrange with my Sheriff in Bellevue, WA to receive the pistol and it took months to get it back. Lesson learned.

As a Commercial Pilot I ferried a plane from the US through Canada to Alaska for some friends that had bought it in Louisiana. I met the ferry pilot in St. Paul and took it from there. I had to stop in International Falls to check in with Canadian Customs and they literally removed everything from the inside of the plane, laid it out on the dock (it was a float plane) and made sure I didn't have any handguns. I was permitted to take a rifle with me but absolutely no handguns. They don't mess around in Canada.

I love Norinco 1911's and have purchased numerous ones to build my own version of a self-defense weapon. I've found Norinco components rarely need to be replaced. The barrels are chrome lined and excellent, but I fit a new oversize bushing to tighten them up and usually replace the fire control parts with tool steel ones I like. I have the slide machined for whatever sights I want, usually 10-8 front and rear, polish the slide flats, and reblue with a bead blasted top. I fit a high-rise beavertail, a good trigger, and new springs. The result is an excellent pistol that will last a long time.

Appreciate the post by several here on the Norinco history, it was very informative.

Posts liked by others
    Nice story thanks for sharing.

Also here NORINCO 's handguns and rifles are pretty common and are being sold at interesting prices.
    Their only drawback is the big "Made in China" rollmark that I really hate to see especially on an American icon like a 1911.
    Originality can't be restored, so put "originality" at the top of a priority list. If JMB didn't put it on the 1911 you don't need it.
    Likes (1) :
    Ric4509 (9th August 2019)