Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Mag rattle

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Mag rattle

Does anyone have a solution to cartridges rattling in magazines? I use my FM Hi-Power as my duty piece, and all 3 of my magazines are plagued with cartridge rattle. I have 1original equipment mag and 2 Meg Gar mags. All of them rattle when loaded with 13 RDS.

Posts liked by others
    This apparently is not unusual with double stack magazines in various types of pistols. There are several reports of this if you search around

The magazine tubes are straight walled, but the 9mm case is tapered. So the case heads will all stack closely together at the rear of the magazine, but the case mouths will have some space between them. The case mouth is also where the main mass of the cartridge is (the bullet). It's this freedom of movement and the inertial mass, at the front of the cases that causes the rattle.

When the case taper is pronounced, as in rifle calibers, the magazines might be curved to accommodate the case taper. With the shallow taper of pistol calibers, a curved magazine tube simply isn't warranted.

I'm not sure that anything can be done to stop the rattling. You're pretty much stuck with the geometry of the magazine tube and cartridges.

But it's also not a problem.

-

Posts liked by others
    Don, may we assume that you have changed out the magazines springs for fresh ones? Changing them early may help. Just a thought.
    Likes (1) :
    Mark75H (5th August 2019)

Posts liked by others
    No, not yet. All 3 of the mags are almost new and still function without any problems. The rattle is merely an annoyance.

Posts liked by others
    Have many Hipower magazines and some rattle while others don't. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason. Some old mags don't and some new ones do. Some Browning mags do and some MecGar do, but not all of either brand. Doubt we'll ever figure it out.

Posts liked by others
    My 9mm Para double-stack mags rattle a wee bit, too. They do less of it when full (or nearly so). It's really not that noticeable unless you're holding the mag.

I know folks who give the rear side of the magazine a slap while loading, supposedly to get the rounds to seat in the rear and make the mag stop rattling. I did it too for a while but honestly, just load the mag and it'll shut up.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    This happens with some Glock 9mms also.
    They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
    ~ Dorothy Parker