Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Manufacturer or local armorer

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Manufacturer or local armorer

I got my RMA from Kahr. Question: does anyone have an opinion whether pinning a new plunger tube and front site, would you send the firearm to Kahr, or would you hand carry it to a locally established armorer? Thanks!

Posts liked by others
    I have never heard of a "locally established armorer." Armorers are found in the military and in larger police departments. The rest of us deal with gunsmiths, and not all local gunsmiths are even remotely qualified to work on 1911s.

You have an RMA from the manufacturer. Why would you not use it?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Thx Hawkmoom. I may have used incorrect terminology. There is a gun shop who disassembled one of my other firearms and cerakoted it. I don’t believe they have a gunsmith on-site but they do work such as what I mentioned so figured if they’re not a licensed gunsmith but do other work I figured they would be an armorer. The reason for my asking for advice is purely cost. If it were something else, like shortening a barrel on my SIG P225 or doing firing pin work or other functional issues such as that, I would definitely bring it to a local gunsmith. So, you’d say shipping it to the mothership is the way to go?

Posts liked by others
    If you have an RMA, that suggests the manufacturer is going to make any repairs under warranty. Staking a front sight or a plunger tube on a 1911 requires special tools. Even with the correct tools (which I have), it doesn't always come out right. I have staked on front sights that didn't survive two sessions at the range and, in theory, I have the tool and I know how to use it.

Once you let someone else work on it, the manufacturer is off the hook as far as honoring any warranty. Being able to spray Cerokote doesn't qualify anyone to do gunsmithing operations on a 1911.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (9th August 2019)

Posts liked by others
    Just DYI! I've done both jobs on my 1911s - Staked a new front sight on my AO, and replaced the plunger tube on my Colt when it got loose. It requires a slight investment in the proper tools, and a little time and care, but one thing I guarantee: Once you know how to do it, and have the tools to do it, you'll NEVER have to do those jobs again.

Posts liked by others
    I'd say send it to the manufacturer if you have RMA. Another option is to bring the pistol to a qualified gunsmith to work on the front sight staking and plunger tube pinning. I recently brought my 70S Colt Combat Commander to a local gunsmith to have the front and rear sight changed. Front sight staked and the rear sight installed dovetailed for $35.

Posts liked by others
    Thx I’ll get it out to AO then. They acknowledged it’s not warranty and quoted abt $70. Appreciate the advice and guidance!