Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Dear members,
Please make sure the email address we have for you, is correct and valid.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GSG 1911 22 at the range.

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

GSG 1911 22 at the range.

My son introduced me to a new 1911 copy for the .22. It's a GSG 1911 22. It looks and feels just like the Government Model but with a lot less recoil.
    I fired 300 rounds of CCI Patriot Ammo to help break it in and I got 100 % reliablity. I was shooting low so I replaced the front sight with one of the four sights that came with the gun. I like shooting with adjustable sights so today I ordered a Bomar style replacement.

I also replaced the guide rod, spring and bushing from Tandemkross. It has much tighter tolerances and is supposed to outlast the plastic guide rod that came with the gun.

Today I went to the range to test it again only this time I used Blazer ammo. Functiioning was o.k. but I had a number of jams do to the tighter fit of the new guide rod systems. I expected that. When I got home and took it apart I noticed there were metal shavings along the rail. I cleaned them up and relubed the gun while cleaning it. I could see the spots on the frame that were being worn from shooting and I will keep paying attention to them.

All In All I'm very pleased with this little gun. I ordered 6 new magazines and some +4 followers and base pads that will give me 16 rounds in the magazines instead of 10. You just never know when you will need extra shots.s

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Bressan View Post
    I also replaced the guide rod, spring and bushing from Tandemkross. It has much tighter tolerances and is supposed to outlast the plastic guide rod that came with the gun.

Today I went to the range to test it again only this time I used Blazer ammo. Functiioning was o.k. but I had a number of jams do to the tighter fit of the new guide rod systems.
    I'm inclined to think that the malfunctions were more likely due to the Blazer ammunition.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    The CCI Patriot is high velocity, similar to their mini-mag 22 LR.

If the Blazer is standard velocity, that could very well be the cause of the jams.

Some 22s do not function well with standard velocity ammo, especially when new, where the recoil and hammer springs are still stiff. The reliability with standard velocity ammo in these guns may or may not improve with repeated firing.

-

Posts liked by others
    Blazers have the same velocity as Mini Mags but are lead instead of a copper wash.

Posts liked by others
    I'm curious, what's the benefit of changing the bushing in this gun? Is it something to do with the fit of the plug, for the new guide rod?

It obviously can't be anything to do with accuracy, since this is a fixed-barrel gun.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Likes (1) :
    Ric4509 (6th August 2019)

Posts liked by others
    Yes it totally has to do with the fit. May be a little over kill but I was caught up in the moment.

Posts liked by others
    I get to learn more about taking down this pistol. Today I noticed that the firing pin is broken. I get to take it down more that I ever did before to replaced the main spring housing and change the safey while I also do the upgrade to the upper bolt because the firing pin broke.

Posts liked by others
    I have a GSG that's about 5-6 years old. Good gun, runs well and reasonably accurate. Bought one for my nephew, the bushing broke and launched the recoil spring. GSG warranty was excellent. Otherwise his has been a good gun.

Shoot CCI MiniMags, these seem to function way better than lead and the lower power varieties. Some of the "white box" varieties of Winchester and Federal won't group in a 10-22 when CCI MiniMags shoot .5" groups at 25y. Ammo makes a huge difference in accuracy and function.

If my memory isn't failing I think the bushing conversion modifies the "fixed" barrel configuration or makes it a "hybrid" and the muzzle becomes supported. Perhaps I'm not explaining it well, it's been a while.

Jim

Jim

Posts liked by others
    I have had mine since about the time they came out. Have always had good luck with it and always use Mini-Mags. Since I bought a couple Nelson Conversions it is only used by my middle daughter and it is her favorite gun to shoot. Over the years I have replaced a lot of parts with new and improved ones from CW Accessories.

For the price it is a fine little gun.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member, GOA Member, MGO Member

Posts liked by others
    I'm leaning quick how to do the gunsmithing on this gun. Really just replacing small parts as needed.

When I first took off the safety I lost the plunder pin. Today I received 3 in the mail, just in casse it happens again. I also received the accurizing kit from CW Accessories and installed it. Next a new firing pin. Do not dry fire this gun without a snap cap.

At least it's fun to take apart and to do the work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast