Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 1911 .45 ACP Defender ?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

New 1911 .45 ACP Defender ?

I just saw the Springfield Defender series for less than $500 and am curious about the quality / value as a potential first 1911 .45ACP ? Currently on my short list is a RIA Rock Series 1911 .45ACP which is close in price . For a similar price I am inclined to give serious consideration to the Defender if the quality / value is present ... Your thoughts ?

Posts liked by others
    Go with the Springfield. Xlnt quality, made in USA and great warranty.
    Likes (2) :
    Ric4509 (28th October 2019), troutslayer (17th November 2020)

Posts liked by others
    If I bought the Defender - sights , trigger and hammer would plan to be updated (not a fan of three dot sights - so Heinie or 10-8 combat sights) . Would it be better cost wise to look at a Range Officer instead and swap out bullseye sights for combat sights ?

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisD46 View Post
    If I bought the Defender - sights , trigger and hammer would plan to be updated ...
    Why?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (3) :
    Ric4509 (5th January 2020), Rick McC. (16th January 2020), slohunter (3rd August 2020)

Posts liked by others
    I "perceive" a skelontized hammer to offer advantages (according to others comments) while a different (longer) trigger may fit better . Just thinking optimal optimizations is all not so much functionality . I will explore 1911 hammer differences and trigger differences to see what I can learn ?

Posts liked by others
    I bought a 1911A1 Mil-Spec some months back, which is very similar in appearance, and comes with 3-dot sights. It was just over $700 with sales tax and California fee. Supposedly the gun is similar to the Defender, but made of higher quality steel.

I found the GI style short trigger not to my liking. My gunsmith replaced it with a "Colt" brand long trigger that works great. . I weighed the trigger pull after 200 rounds fired, and was quite happy with the consistency. i prefer the parkerized finish because it looks great over the decades as it ages.

Aside from the supposed difference in steel quality I have no idea what corners were cut to get to the lower price for the Defender. But, as a point of reference I can share that I am quite happy with what my $700 bought for me.
    i sold all my handguns. . . . . . . . . . except for the 1911 style pistols in .45 ACP.
    Likes (1) :
    Ric4509 (28th October 2019)

Last edited by MuyModesto; 28th October 2019 at 08:49.

Posts liked by others
    Great pistols and great customer service, IMO.
    I have had two Springfield 45ACP pistols, currently keeping just a Range Officer Compact Elite. Both have been excellent weapons. The first pistol did have the lower barrel lug break after a couple thousand rounds, but Springfield actually sent me a complete new pistol instead of just replacing the barrel--all at no cost to me.
    FWIW, I had a custom Hi Power barrel sustain a similar barrel lug breakage. Who knows why? Same story for big name, expensive, lifetime "bar stock" slide stop/releases. I've had a couple of those break also. If you shoot enough for long enough, things break.
    I don't know anything about RIA, but I can state that I am very pleased with Springfield products.
    Likes (3) :
    MuyModesto (28th October 2019), Ric4509 (28th October 2019), USMC-FO (24th November 2019)

Posts liked by others
    I got one as well. See my range review with pics.

Posts liked by others
    My local Gun Shop has the Defender for $479, excellent starting base for those like me who can't leave well enough alone!

Posts liked by others
    I just purchased mine last week. So far no issues. 100 rounds and no hiccups.

81365968_10220225612901509_7365056558230667264_n.jpg
    Last edited by Shart1971; 30th December 2019 at 16:45.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast