Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: seeking information on WW1 British and Canadian contract .455 self loading

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

seeking information on WW1 British and Canadian contract .455 self loading

hi guys , I am seeking information on WW1 British and Canadian contract .455 self loading, please educate me .
    looking to buy one, most likely cannot afford one , but one never knows ,
    I never thought I would find a S&W aircrewman either.

picture would great ,
    also anyone reload this caliber ?
    Last edited by camel; 27th June 2019 at 20:30.

Posts liked by others
    Charles Clawson's Commercial Series book has that information.

Posts liked by others
    hi does anyone on the forum own a .455 colt auto ???

Posts liked by others
    Those are pretty scarce.
    Gunsmith Greg Derr is "modernizing" a beat up one for his project of matching 1911s in all calibers ever available.
    I don't know if he has any history on them.

Posts liked by others
    According to THE MODEL 1911 AND MODEL 1911A1 MILITARY AND COMMERCIAL PISTOLS by Joe Poyer

"Pistols above W100,000 but without RAF markings were probably issued to other British military units. Some will also be seen with Canadian military markings, a "C" in a circle and a Broad Arrow."

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    hi does anyone on the forum own a .455 colt auto ???
    Here for your viewing pleasure are photos of my WWI RAF British military proofed Colt 1911. It was one of 400 pistols shipped to Captain Sir Connop Guthrie, Pier 60, North River NY NY on March 12, 1918. Guthrie was the Special Representative for the British Ministry of Shipping in the U.S. and a member of the U.S. Shipping Commission in 1918. It has the view mark for G.W.R. Steadman, British Inspector at the Colt New Haven Factory and the British Broad Arrow and Crossed Pennant military acceptance marks. Serial number is W 100744.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Posts liked by others
    A few more photos to show barrel proofing and other markings.
    Attached Images Attached Images