Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .38 special conversions expert , I am seeking a expert

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Icon17 .38 special conversions expert , I am seeking a expert

hi , I am seeking a expert on .38 special conversions expert , I have two magazines and wonders who converted them . can & will post pictures .
    please post, many thanks, camel

Posts liked by others
    I am a child of the dedicated .38 wadcutter magazine era. I have not seen but one altered magazine and would like to see more.

Posts liked by others
    Please follow through and post the photos. I don't think any one can tell you anything without seeing the photos.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    howdy heres a picture of one

Last edited by camel; 27th June 2019 at 20:35.

Posts liked by others
    Jim Clark?
    MFWIC
    DILLIGAF
    Stercus Accidit
    WTFDTSG

Posts liked by others
    I'm sorry, but those photos are so out of focus I can't see anything that might be useful.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    hi guys , let me try again , tonite I had several martinis , perhaps my camera aim is better
    please ask questions and I will answer when I can, many thanks, camel

w

Posts liked by others
    I know I have a magazine (the printed kind) somewhere with an article about these critters, by Charles Petty, IIRC. Try looking for that one, IIRC it explains a bit about what needed to be done to get such mags to work, but he admitted that everyone breathed a sigh of relief when Colt came up with factory .38 Special mags.

Unfortunately I don't have access to my copy of said mag. I think it was 'American Handgunner'.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    that's an interesting Mag... have never seen one modified with the extra front lip but I can see why.. you need some additional angle when you have 5 rounds in the mag typically to get them all to feed.. I have two mags I did way back that were copies of Jim Clarks modified super mags of the 60s. they both worked pretty well but were stored away when Colt came out with their 38 special mags.. they continue to be the gold standard for any 38 special 1911.. there were more than a few gunsmiths back then that did the conversion , Clark Giles, Day just to name a few. It was a very popular pistol for the Centerfire course in any Bullseye match.. The S&W 52 came about due to the popularity of the special in BE. The Army AMU unit lead a lot of the development and had quite a few special items made for them such as the 38 Special barrel by Smith and Wesson stamped AMU for the 1911
    special.jpg

Posts liked by others
    those are the two I made years ago for a couple of 1911 38s. Both Clark guns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast