Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Sig GSR 1911 - Looking for information

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Cool Sig GSR 1911 - Looking for information

I "inherited" a Stainless Steel Sig GSR 1911, S/N 7007. It has been sitting a bedside drawer for at least 10 years - untouched.

Questions:

1. Based on the serial number I imagine this is an early production unit. How can I find the mfg. date? I have read on this thread that "older" GSR's contain no MIM parts and some MIM parts are being used in newer units. Pardon my lack of knowledge but what are MIM parts?

2. What do I need to do to bring this pistol into "ready to use" condition? Would a return to Sig for overhaul be a good idea?

Any help you can provide will be appreciated.

Posts liked by others
    Regarding the serial number and date of manufacturing, why not call Sig and ask them? I have found them to be very helpful when I've needed help or information. I am not aware of any internet database that exists that can help with this question.

There are now an innumerable number of posts all over the internet about MIM (metal injection molding) pro's and con's. I don't worry about it. And I really don't think about it when I fly, knowing that MIM parts are in the jet engines.

I would suggest perusing the many excellent articles found here: https://www.m1911.org//technic_forum.htm You will find several that will help you check your pistol and get it ready to shoot.
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (17th June 2019)

Posts liked by others
    If you haven't done so already you might want to check out the Sig Talk forum. There is a lot of good info regarding various Sig products including pistols. Additionally, Sig customer service is very good. I recently sent in a used LE trade in that was about 11 years old in for a once over including cleaning and replacement of worn parts. Seems to me it was around $200 including shipping and turn around was very fast

Posts liked by others
    If it were me, I would field strip, clean and carefully examine the gun. I would look for any damaged parts, or signs of wear. Once I had the gun completely clean and inspected I would lube and re-assemble.

Next I would test with the gun UNLOADED to make sure the thumb safety, disconnector, grip safety, "series 80 safety" aka firing pin block (my Sig Sauer has that), and half-cock (if your pistol has half cock) still work.

If it all looks good, I'd head to the range, starting with some light loads first. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.
    i sold all my handguns. . . . . . . . . . except for the 1911 style pistols in .45 ACP.