Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Frankenberg Build on a Gold Cup

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Frankenberg Build on a Gold Cup

This is a pistol that was built for me by Fred Frankenberg from Washington, Oklahoma. He assembled this out of a GC frame/slide that I had traded for and a batch of parts that I had won at various IPSC US Nationals over time. I furnished him a Barsto barrel, Briley bushing, a McCormick FCG group along with a beaver tail and trigger that I got somewhere along the line so he could work his magic. The original owner of the pistol had put some god-awful paint type coating on the frame that I was able to remove with lotions and potions and some buffing. I ended up cold bluing the frame as I intended to put it to work not in a display case. I added the Herrett grips as I have them on several pistols and they just feel right to me.

This one is probably the least flashy of any of my custom builds. In my old days of street racing we would call this one a sleeper. No bling to draw attention and relatively stock looking. It wastes a large amount of the target paper as those 45 wad cutters just go into ragged holes in the middle. I carry this one on occasion and between it and the Curtis gun I showed earlier are way up on my favorites list. I'll use this one in my LEOSA qualifications this year.

Greg

Posts liked by others
    I like the simplicity. It doesn't have all those froufrou modifications such as scallops on the front strap, French cuts on the slide, front cocking serrations, etc.

Posts liked by others
    Nice. Is that a Gold-Cup (i.e. wide) trigger?
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    It's pretty wide. I have a couple of other guns with them but I can't remember who made them in the 80's.

Greg

Posts liked by others
    I asked because off the bat I thought this is an STI trigger shoe, and I don't think they sell a GC version. But maybe someone else used to make them, or they could also be sold under another name, or STI maybe used to offer a wide version, or...
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    No trigger shoes on any of my guns. IPSC/USPSA rules strictly forbid them back in the old days. Now they will let them be used as long as they are not out on the edges of the trigger guard if I understand the rule correctly. I've git verty small hands and wouldn't want the extra bulk on mine. My Para trigger was custom made for me just because of that.

Greg

Posts liked by others
    I was referring to the trigger itself, not to those old bolt-on trigger shoes.

To be clear: all Colt Gold Cups have wider trigger faces/shoes than other 1911s. The frames are readily identifiable by having the bottom-rear end of the triggerguard re-profiled, to make room for their wide triggers. A normal 1911 trigger will fit, but it will almost certainly have a fair bit of play side to side.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    I new about the wider trigger face. IIRC these all needed a bit of fitting in some instances. Nuances in fitting are often overlooked if you aren't hanging with the custom crowd.

Greg