Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield Mil-Spec, .45 ACP, carbon steel, parkerized, model PB9108LCA

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Springfield Mil-Spec, .45 ACP, carbon steel, parkerized, model PB9108LCA

Yesterday I looked at one of these in a local gun shop. The trigger mechanism gave me pause to wonder, "is this the only problem, or will there be more?". The first thing I noticed when dry-firing was trigger creep. There was a lot of it. I can't recall handling a 1911 with more than what this one had.

Next up was the trigger pull. According to the S.A. website it should come with a 5-7 lb trigger. What I found felt like 7 to me, but the guy at the counter said it felt like 8 or more to him. That's nowhere near the 4 to 4.5 pounds I prefer.

Aside from the trigger issues the gun looked good. If I could simply buy one, swap out that short G.I. trigger for a long one, get a trigger job done, and have a 1911 as reliable and trouble-free and enjoyable to shoot as my Colts, Sig Sauer & Kimber, I think I'd go for it.

If any of you have dealt with a similar situation, please share. I'd love to know if you found a quick solution or found yourselves going down a rabbit hole of problems, one after the other.
    i sold all my handguns. . . . . . . . . . except for the 1911 style pistols in .45 ACP.

Posts liked by others
    Triggers in various lengths are available from innumerable on-line sources: Brownells, Sarco, Numrich, even Midway.

It's not unusual to find entry-level pistols with gritty, creepy, heavy triggers. It's also very easy to clean them up. Go to our Home Page Site: www.m1911.org . On the left side of the page is a menu. Click on "Technical Issues," then scroll down until you find the article entitled "Poor Man's Trigger Job."
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (2) :
    MuyModesto (16th June 2019), Ric4509 (6th August 2019)

Last edited by Hawkmoon; 16th June 2019 at 12:18. Reason: Typo

Posts liked by others
    I greatly prefer my Mil Spec to the SR1911 I am now using for carry.
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (17th June 2019)

Posts liked by others
    I placed the order at my favorite gun shop. When it arrived I was pleasantly surprised. The trigger pull was significantly lighter than the one in the other shop. It felt like 5 pounds to me. The trigger creep was minimal, again in stark contrast to the other one I had examined. Fit & finish look good. The "Thumbs Safety" (so I called it because it took both thumbs to engage it), should be more manageable with break-in. Pick-up day, after my 10 day wait falls on my favorite holiday, so I'll get it July 5. Pictures & range report will follow that.
    i sold all my handguns. . . . . . . . . . except for the 1911 style pistols in .45 ACP.
    Likes (1) :
    BentLink (27th June 2019)

Last edited by MuyModesto; 26th June 2019 at 11:43.

Posts liked by others
    My 10-day waiting period ended so I picked itup the pistol at the gun shop yesterday. Back at home I worked the slide and it felt like metal on metal with no lubrication. I field stripped it and found an excess of oil on the inside, just not in the places where it was needed. i also found the last 3 digits of the serial number were engraved on the underside of the slide. Being a long-time fan of Pachmayr Signature grips, I put them onto this pistol. I cleaned up the mess, lubricated to my satisfaction then re-assembled. That metal-on-metal feel is now gone. The slide works quite smoothly for a pistol that's not yet been fired.

The only frustration I found was the fit between the barrel bushing and the slide was the tightest of any 1911 I've ever owned. Even with my barrel bushing wrench (that seldom needed and seldom used tool), it was a real adventure getting the barrel bushing off the slide during take-down, and getting it all closed-up again at the end with the recoil spring plug in place.

Lastly I weighed the trigger on 20 consecutive pulls. The average pull was 3.97 pounds with the lightest being 3.58 and the heaviest at 4.83. For a "price point" gun, I was quite pleased with these numbers. At this point I'm looking forward to range day, wondering how I will do with that short G.I. style trigger.
    Attachment 4635Attachment 4636
    This gun was about $110 more than I paid a year ago for an Auto Ordnance that I sold recently. So far the quality difference I'm noticing suggests that extra $110 was money well spent.
    Last edited by MuyModesto; 6th July 2019 at 09:28.

Posts liked by others
    I have the Springfield Armory Mil-Spec model PB9108L-CA. Before range day #1 I weighed the trigger on 20 consecutive pulls. 3.97 pounds was the average. Not bad at all! The spread was 20 oz between heaviest and lightest, which was of immediate concern. My other 1911s run about 8-12 oz in trigger pull spread. I also noticed a lot of trigger creep.

From pick-up day (July 5, after my 10 day waiting time), through today I have done daily dry firing, which probably comes to more than 1200 hammer drops. I noticed during dry fire that the trigger creep was diminishing to the point where it was scarcely noticeable.

July 31, my next available time to go to the range, I started by weighing the trigger again on 20 pulls. The average dropped from 3.97 to 3.61 pounds. More importantly the spread between the lightest and heaviest pull dropped from 20 oz to just 5.9 oz. That’s the smallest spread of any of my 1911s! The pistol functioned perfectly at the range yesterday.

After the first range day i decided the G.I. style short trigger is not for me. I’m going to have my gunsmith fit a long trigger in, but am going to ask him to change nothing else, because the action in this pistol is perfect for my liking.

Bottom Line: I am really impressed with the quality I got for the money. Although this is a “price point” gun it feels and shoots in the same way as my other 1911s which cost me hundreds more, each.

I finish each range day with 3 rounds right-hand-only, and 3 rounds left-hand-only. I do this with the thought that in a life & death situation one arm might be injured. (I also practice loading, unloading, and working the slide 1 hand only, but do that at home with dummy rounds to avoid raising eyebrows at the range.) The image is what I, a right handed guy, did at 7 yards with the Springfield left-hand-only.

IMG_0801.jpg

If I can do this well with it in the reduced lighting at an indoor range and at my age, the gun is a winner.

Posts liked by others
    Very nice work... but we like pictures of guns too, not just targets...
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Spyros, you are right. The gun is in the shop for installation of a long trigger. I should get it back this week, and will add a photo of it's new appearance.

Posts liked by others
    As suggested previously, here are a couple of photos. The right side photo was on "pick-up day", after my 10 day wait. The original short style trigger is in place, as are the original grips. The left side photo (taken today) shows the same pistol with "Pachmayr Signature" grips, which I use on all my pistols, and a "Colt" long style trigger installed by my gunsmith. Now all my 1911s have the long trigger, which feels a lot better in my hand.

Right side - Original Grips to share.jpg Aug 12, 2019 Colt long trigger in Springfield Mil-Spec to share.jpeg

Posts liked by others
    That's a nice looking gun, in both pictures.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (13th August 2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast