Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Help with failure to extract/eject lda officer 9

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Help with failure to extract/eject lda officer 9

I have a LDA Officer 9 that I really like but can't trust yet due to frequent Failure to Extract/Eject (FTE) issues. Sometimes I can shoot a complete mag without problems but often I have a FTE with every mag. Usually the FTE is around the 4th or 5th shot, the case is partially extracted from the chamber but the following round in the mags moves up and the slide moves forward and results in a jam. All mags are Wilson mags, problems occur with all weights of bullets, 115, 124, and 147. My question is where I should start, extractor, or main spring? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Posts liked by others
    Does this pistol have a stylized 'X' on the slide, and "PXT" or anything with an 'X' in the serial number?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    No Sir, no Xs anywhere, the SN prefix is PAO followed by a five digit number.

Posts liked by others
    That should indicate that you have a late model pistol. It probably has the EGW heavy-duty extractor. It's an improvement over the PXT PowerXtractor, but it's not a standard 1911 extractor. The good news is that it's a good part. At worst, it might need to be retensioned.

Next question: Did you buy it new or used? If it's an Officers, does it use a conventional recoil spring on a separate recoil spring guide, or does it use the newer style "encapsulated" recoil spring assembly? Sort of like this (although I don't have an image of the Para part -- this is a Colt):

Hawkmoon
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 16th June 2019 at 13:12.

Posts liked by others
    Sir, I bought it used but I suspect that it was a late manufacture although the recoil spring is the conventional model. I finally decided to get my Smithy involved and took it to him even if his shop is 70 miles away. He called and said that the extractor did not have enough tension. He said he tweeked it and it seems to have solved the problem. I will pick it up this coming Wednesday and run it through an extensive range session. I have several LDA Paras and he has worked on a couple for me, he is the only fairly local guy who seems to understand the LDA system. I will up date after the range session. Thanks for you suggestions and help, greatly appreciate it. Keep shootin' and check six.

Posts liked by others
    WOW!

Not even I would consider 70 miles to be "local." On the other hand, I don't know if there are any gunsmiths with even 70 miles of me who know how to work on 1911s, which is why I do all my own gunsmithing. But with the LDAs I have never dared to go deeper than field strip for regular cleaning. (Although the slide doesn't hold any special LDA bits, so I reckon I could probably manage to retension an LDA extractor.

I'm glad it turned out to be something simple.
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    Got my LDA Officer 9 back from my Smithy. Problem seems to be solved. I put three full mags through it plus 5 extra for a total of 29 rounds, slow, timed and rapid fire. No failures to eject. I will shoot it a lot more to increase my confidence in it and then add it to my carry rotation. My Smithy said the extractor had no tension, he tweeked it with a slight bend and it is working great. Thanks Hawkmoon for your advice/info. Keep shootin' and check 6.