Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on a Union Switch & Signal:

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Amen! My feeling exactly. Advanced collectors would figure it out... but the rest of us mere mortals have a tougher time with it. She thought she was getting one of the biggies. After I told her my suspicions and confirmed them on here her balloon burst but then when I said she'd not sent any money yet things started to look a bit brighter.

Again my deepest thanks for all for helping out with this situation.

Dan

Posts liked by others
    I'm even later to the party, and I concur with hawkmoon that is NOT a US&S but is at best an arsenal rework of Augusta Arsenal (AA).
    Something similar happened to me more than one time when people tried to sell me US&Ss that were absolute fakes!
    Originality can't be restored, so put "originality" at the top of a priority list. If JMB didn't put it on the 1911 you don't need it.

Posts liked by others
    Mr. Hauptmann, please give us some follow-up with respect to whether or not the seller was willing to cancel the sale once it became obvious that the gun is not as described. And if he wasn't cooperative, did Gunbroker help your sister out?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Hi, My name is Maggie. My brother posted here for opinions on a Colt/Union Switch & Signal mismatch implied as a genuine US&S. I want to thank all who gave their opinions. I referred the customer service on that site to this forum twice in emails. I think they read it because the seller released me from the purchase. I am grateful to you all for helping me. A load has been lifted from my shoulders. Many, many thanks!!! Maggie BTW, I never heard from customer service at Gunbroker at all, just the automated responses of they received my inquiry. This is in answer to Mr. Hawkmoon. Have a great week, everyone.
    Last edited by Maggie; 19th June 2019 at 00:04.

Posts liked by others
    My thanks as well to everyone who replied and helped out! You're the GREATEST!!!!

Posts liked by others
    Thank you both for the follow-up. I am happy to know that the seller did the honorable thing and released you from the deal.

Now that you're here, I hope you'll stick around. There's a lot of good information to be picked up.

A last thought, relating to Hauptmann's post #9:

Although he does mention "Colt" in the title of the auction he doesn't specify anything about that. Had this been a US&S with a couple of parts... say hammer and trigger as an example being Colt, no a big deal. But the entire frame? Nope... not gonna fly.
    I beg to differ, Sir. $3,375 is a premium price. Are there some genuine M1911s or M1911A1s that sell for even more than that? Yes. But when you get north of $2,000 you're into territory where things like "just" an incorrect hammer or trigger (or both) make all the difference in the world. This is why there are unscrupulous sellers out there who buy an arsenal reworked pistol, then they scour the gun shows looking for "correct" parts so they can try to sell the pistol as "original." To the knowledgeable, there is a difference between "correct" and "original." "Original" means just that, and a true original is worth more than even a "correct" pistol that has in it a bunch of parts that weren't on it when it left the factory.

The problem with the "correct" pistols is that it's something that can't be detected by looking at photos. To folks like Doran and Jim Watson and some others here, it's usually possible to spot incorrect parts. Beyond that, you may see comments that "___ looks correct," but you'll probably never see anyone say (based just on photos) that a pistol appears to be all original. For that, you need a physical inspection by someone like Scott Gahimer. On a pistol with a price of $3,375, an incorrect hammer and trigger would be quite a big deal.
    Hawkmoon
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 19th June 2019 at 09:28.

Posts liked by others
    Maggie,

I'm glad that you were released from the purchase. Unfortunately, it's buyer beware on all auction websites.

I've been gently burned a couple of times in the few occasions I've bought over the internet, and I really believe that the sellers were not aware of the problem with the firearms. Most recently, as can be seen regarding a 1962 Remington 700 BDL which I have described in another thread, there were a couple of issues that I found out after I received the rifle. I'm still very glad that I bought it (the first year of the 700 BDL's), but I probably overpaid a little. At least it wasn't a +$3,000+ purchase!!

So, you're not alone with a problem such as yours. And, it's possible that the seller of your pistol knows absolutely nothing about 1911's, military weapons, etc. I've found that very, very few guys who work in gun shops know much about what they're selling, despite what they want you to believe or say.

Rob

Posts liked by others
    Hi, danriverboy, You are much too nice. I emailed the seller 3 times. No responses at all. I did not read their feedback until after the fact. They have issues. This is just MY opinion about selling, but if I were selling an unknown gun, I would do my research first before I offered it. I should have been more careful bidding as well. Lesson learned. I was just so excited about getting a rare gun for less than they go for. Good thing I have a brother who has the sense to ask people who KNOW about these things. I could have paid and gone through the return hassle. I am grateful to my brother and to all who answered him, In regard to that seller, I will not buy from them again. I have that gut feeling that they knew. You are right about gunshops, however. I know personally of one where their interest is hunting. They know little about the pieces they transfer for me. I did finally hear from Gunbroker this morning. They are going to ask the seller to verify that the gun is a US&S. (I think their emails got lost for a couple of days.) Anyway, it's over. My brother thinks I now owe him a 1911 for all his help. I'll give that some thought. Maggie

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Maggie
    My brother thinks I now owe him a 1911 for all his help.
    Well, heck. If he rates a 1911 out of this ... so do I!

Make mine a Singer, please.
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    What danriverboy said about some people that work in gun shops brought to mind an incident that happened to me a couple of years ago. I also collect M1 Garands and M1903s, and on one trip to one of the local shops I noticed an M1 they had for sale on consignment for $2500. I was interested in what was special about this one. When I looked at it, I saw it had a very high serial number and a cast receiver by a manufacturer I had never heard of. They were shocked to hear that there were only four manufacturers and none ever used a cast receiver, plus the fact that it may have been worth $300 or $400 depending on the desirability of its component parts. They did put it in the back and said they would have to have a talk with the consigner. The moral of the story is buyer beware. Enter any transaction armed with as much information as possible. Forums like this are invaluable.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast