Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Dear members,
Please make sure the email address we have for you, is correct and valid.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: My 1st 1911

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by megafiddle View Post
    Is it possible that the rounds are catching on the slide stop or something?......It's possible that the cartridges started out with the correct OAL and the bullets were set back during feeding....

-
    When I hand cycle the slide the rounds appear to be snagging at the ramp, but I can't feel an edge there with my finger. Not much relief, though, from the frame ramp to the barrel ramp....

I went back & measured all the jamb rounds & found a couple definitely were set back a mm or so.

Posts liked by others
    All those corners should be sharp, EXCEPT the one between the barrel ramp and the chamber.

But if you test the extractor and find it to be reasonably OK for tension, I'd try shooting this gun with the stock mag AND a 50-round box of WWB.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrenean View Post
    .....BTW, do you ever get down to the Waco area? We have a nice outdoor range but your range looks very nice too......
    Not for some years now. We came through many times back when my daughter was in school down in San Marcos. Our local indoor range is really nice, but I do like shooting outdoors better.

.....Edit: Also if you get another jam, see if you can take a picture of it - as safely as possible. From your description of the feed issue, the extractor may be keep the round in the mag.....

If you put an empty case under the extractor does the case rest flat on the breech face? (slide removed from frame)

Those are about the best I could do with an empty case & my phone camera.

Posts liked by others
    The empty case experiment needs to be done with the slide removed from the frame.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyros View Post
    The empty case experiment needs to be done with the slide removed from the frame.
    Try this.....

Posts liked by others
    One more photo please of the empty case in the slide. Slide off the frame and barrel out of slide. Case and extractor engaged in the same position as when the pistol would be in battery.

Based on what I see in the above photos, I expect the case will be cattywumpus. Not that cattywumpus is bad for, as you can see, when the barrel is included the case is straight. It appears the front of your extractor claw is touching the rim. The extractor tension against the case slows the feed cycle down. Too tight of an extractor can stall the cycle. Friction, of course, plays a part in the feed cycle.

That extractor to case contact is actually per specification. Part of the late master Keefer's procedure was to move the extractor back in the slide to the position he considered to be optimal for his goals. Other master smiths, such as John Harrison, provide extractors without the firing stop groove so gunsmiths can fit the extractors as they desire.

Your slide rails still have finish on them. At this point, more rounds down the tube is what the pistol needs rather than any kitchen table gunsmithing. Keep it lubed. For break in, if oil drips down the magwell and dribbles down your arm, you might have too much lube. Relube the pistol about every three mags by putting some drops of oil on the bottom of the slide rails when the pistol is in slide lock (and, of course, when no mag or rounds are in the pistol).

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by lonestarjeff View Post
    Not for some years now. We came through many times back when my daughter was in school down in San Marcos. Our local indoor range is really nice, but I do like shooting outdoors better.
    These days one needs a good reason to drive I35. My wife and I are okay driving I35 to Dallas to visit our daughter. We suffer through the Waxahatchie work area and avoid the new mess in Waco near the Brazos. I35 is also a mess through Temple. We use backroads when going to Georgetown and SH130 for points south but trips that way just don't happen for us these days. In any case, if someone motivates you with a few million to get down this way, consider yourself invited to visit the range: ctrpclub.org.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by lonestarjeff View Post
    Try this.....
    And without the barrel.

The objective here is to see how strong a hold the extractor has on a case. So the case should be placed under the extractor claw, and the slide should then be held up, horizontally, to see how much the case is drooping downwards.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    These days one needs a good reason to drive I35. My wife and I are okay driving I35 to Dallas to visit our daughter. We suffer through the Waxahatchie work area and avoid the new mess in Waco near the Brazos. I35 is also a mess through Temple. We use backroads when going to Georgetown and SH130 for points south but trips that way just don't happen for us these days. In any case, if someone motivates you with a few million to get down this way, consider yourself invited to visit the range: ctrpclub.org.
    LOL I started to go off on I-35 & the pleasure of driving it, but I figured I was preaching to the choir. They were working on long sections of the Dallas-Austin stretch back when our daughter started college in '03 & it never ended(sounds like nothing's changed).

You never know though. If my wife wants to go visit the Silos some day I might sneak away to the range.

Posts liked by others
    Here's one with the barrel clear of the case. The extractor contact is as you described when the case is in battery.

The claw holds the shell when I pick up the slide & turn it over, etc., but on extraction the friction between case & chamber actually pulls the case slightly away from the breech. It still holds, but the case does pivot or droop.
    Likes (1) :
    Pyrenean (10th July 2019)

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast