Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Dear members,
Please make sure the email address we have for you, is correct and valid.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: My 1st 1911

Posts liked by others
    LOL, the boo-boo is scabbed over now & healing nicely. I plan to hit the range again tomorrow & hope to avoid further injury.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by lonestarjeff View Post
    In the factory box one magazine came with the pistol, a Check-Mate 7 round. I ordered a couple more inexpensive ones from Cabela's(I had a gift card).

The Cabela's mags have a different layout of witness holes. We'll see how they cycle & hold up.
    Those have to be cheap, Chinese knock-offs. I wouldn't waste any time or ammo on them. Send them back to Cabela's and buy some real magazines.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    .....Send them back to Cabela's and buy some real magazines.
    You read my mind :-)

BTW, here's a little better pic of the ramp......

Posts liked by others
    The ramp still looks okay to me. There is an obvious gap. The parkerizing is still showing on the rails. Keep the pistol generously lubed and run lots of ball ammo through it using that Checkmate mag.

Let the Triple-K's watch from the side line.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrenean View Post
    ......Keep the pistol generously lubed and run lots of ball ammo through it using that Checkmate mag.

Let the Triple-K's watch from the side line.
    I've actually ordered a couple more Check-mates & have the Triple-K's packaged up for exchange. Cabela's carries Mec-Gar, & I've had good service from them in one of my Sigs, so I'll try one for the AO.

Jeff

Posts liked by others
    With two more Check-mates & a Mec-Gar I headed back to the range this weekend. Still had some FTF's, but maybe a third of what failed the 1st trip out. I did not notice any significant brass damage on the FTF's that 1st trip, but I did this time. They all hung up the same way save one, the one oddball did a double feed. All the rest are pictured in a group here......

They all hung up slightly nose up, jambed against the feed ramp, the cartridge rim not quite clear of the magazine lips. I had similar jambs with all 4 mags, all 230g ball ammo. I never had more than one FTF in a mag, for what that's worth.

None of this is intended as complaint, I'm really enjoying the AO, & of course the whole 1911 experience is still new for me. As I mentioned after the 1st trip the AO is as accurate for me as any of my autos, but I still catch myself flinching sometimes with the .45 :-) Here's a side by side of the AO & my 9mm SP2022 at 10 yds....

I still haven't quite made 500rds with the AO, so if the FTF count continues to improve with break-in I'll start considering the possibility of carrying it(other than at the farm).

Posts liked by others
    Interesting. What brand ammo is this?
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyros View Post
    Interesting. What brand ammo is this?
    LAX "range" ammo.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by lonestarjeff View Post
    LAX "range" ammo.
    Is "LAX" a brand, or a headstamp?

Those look to me like reloads, and it also appears that the bullets are seated too far into the case. If you have a caliper, can you measure the overall length of maybe three of them and post the dimensions?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    LAX is both a brand and a headstamp. laxammo.com. I do not see any lead round nose on their site. The rounds do appear to be too short. I would also be interested in the crimp measurement. The case is catching during feed. Can you please take anouther look at the gap between barrel and ramp? This time, try using a felt tip pen to mark the top of ramp with the barrel down on the bed. Be certain to have the slide stop in place when doing this.

BTW, do you ever get down to the Waco area? We have a nice outdoor range but your range looks very nice too.

Edit: Also if you get another jam, see if you can take a picture of it - as safely as possible. From your description of the feed issue, the extractor may be keep the round in the mag. There are several things that can cause this. For example, the front of the extractor claw could be impacting the case or the extractor might have too much tension.

If you put an empty case under the extractor does the case rest flat on the breech face? (slide removed from frame)
    Last edited by Pyrenean; 7th July 2019 at 21:59.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast